Recharging magneto on a stand question...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Recharging magneto on a stand question...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

In the past, I have recharged the magneto magnets in a car and on a stand, still assembled, using three 12 volt batteries. I've only done this a couple times with assistance from knowledgeable friends, so I am by no means an expert. I have read the magneto manual, chased through past posts and looked on-line for the answer to my question. Unfortunately, this website's search function still hangs up when I try to use it, so I have to turn to posting my question instead. I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, but I can't find what I need.
Q: Can I use a battery charger (not a trickle charger, but a big heavy-duty charger) to zap the magnets? If so, what setting? Standard 12 volt or 12 volt jump start power? In other words, will the battery charger supply at least 36 volts to do the job? I'd like to avoid trying to track down three 12 volt batteries again, as I now have access to a professional strength battery charger and would like to use that if possible.
Thanks in advance. 'Sorry if this is a repetitive question that everyone is sick of reading about and answering.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

No, 12 volts will not do it. Not enough current with 12 volts. As you know, 36 volts will do it, although 48 is better. I have had good luck using a DC welder. If I am not mistaken, mine puts out about 70 volts and varies the amperage with pulse width modulation.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration