Old Photo - Ford And Federal Parts Store Front Street Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Ford And Federal Parts Store Front Street Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

overland. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:14 am:

As soon as the picture came up, I KNEW I would scroll just a bit and see Charley S telling me it was an Overland!

Its all good.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:25 am:

car looks new, was it normal for new cars to come with out a spare tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:55 am:

Fred,

Ford pick-ups didn't include a spare tire and rear bumper into the 1960's at least, maybe a little later.

You guys remember Bardon (sp?) Bumpers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:31 am:

Fred,
It was normal for cheaper standard cars, tires were relatively expensive in the 20's. Here's a photo of a new Fordor at the dealer back in the day:

tttt

Also note the perfect shine in the new paint (that unfortunately didn't last many months..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Okay, but what's with the "Danger" post in front? I don't see any kind of "garage door" for cars to pass through, unless they just happen to be able to squeeze out the front door. Or is it from things maybe falling from above? LOL. Some kind of traffic warning device with respect to the "median" curb? Sooo many questions.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:25 am:

Tim, it looks to be attached to the bench not the far curb. Possibly a trolley stop?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Oh for Pete's sake! Gary, you're right!! LOL..dang, I better get my eyes checked. Bet I looked at least 3 times at this pic and didn't notice it. I agree, drawing attention to the seat for the stop. Whew. Now I feel so much better! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Such an interesting photo! Keep'em coming Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Jay's photo is of the William L. Hughson Company located at 1101 Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Boy, that is one SOLID-looking bench! Also looks very uncomfortable! Guess one doesn't have to wait sitting on it long.
Really cool photo; lots of activity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Don't look it up on Google Maps if you don't want your day ruined.

There is some interesting information on the "Van Ness Auto Row" located here:

http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/pages/1054/files/van%20ness%20auto%20row.pdf

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration