1926 Spindle ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 Spindle ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

I obviously have pre 1926 spindles on my 1926 roadster. Would it be advisable to install the correct offset spindles or leave it alone?

In addition, my front spring has 7 leaves. From what I've read, 1926-'27 should have 8 leaves. Possibly earlier front axle swap in the past?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Does it look like the car leans backwards? Originally the stance was a bit more like it leans forward, and if you aim for that look, you can replace with original parts. But if you're satisfied with the look it has now - and if the spindles or spring aren't worn or causing any problems, then you may let it be until the spindles may need new bushings sometime in the future..

The '26/'27 front spring was lowered compared to earlier years springs. My pre '26 style spring on my primitive pickup leaves max about 4" between the underside of the spring and the top of the axle as a comparison.

There's another consideration - the camber angle is set by the spindles, and earlier T's had a lot of positive camber. When the 21" tires came as an option in 1925 and very soon was used on the majority of the cars, the camber angle in the spindles was also reduced to about half of the earlier amount. So if you have a '25 spindle, maybe you have the later style camber, maybe not - though I don't think it makes a lot of difference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Roger, the car does not appear to lean backwards.

I have 3.75" clearance between the underside of the spring and the top of the axle , So I guess I am in the ball park there.

There is obvious positive camber on the right front as can be seen from the photo. Not so much on the left front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I sounds to me like the entire front axle assembly was replaced at some point. If you are happy the way it is fine, but I would bring it back to stock. Your observations on the spring are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Larry, I am not happy with it the way it is. As per your suggestion, I am determined to bring it back to stock.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration