26-27 roadster oil pan wood blacksf

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26-27 roadster oil pan wood blacksf
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I have read several posts on here and have heard two differing ideas. My question is would a late 27 roadster have came with the small wooden blocks between the frame and the pan ears or supports??? If anyone has a picture of the correct blocks and how it's mounted between the frame and pan supports, could u please post a picture??? Thanks in advance for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Should have said wooden blocks. Sorry Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

If you read Tinker'n Ted Ashman's books, you will find that he says they should be left out, as they hold to motor too tight to the frame and cause the pan arms to break.

They are also very difficult to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Yes, your '27 will have wood blocks at the frame to crankcase mounts. Very important. Keeps the engine from twisting in the flexible frame of the T. Ford would not have left out the wood blocks.

Easy to install. Per Ford Service Book, put engine in frame; engage U-joint; install crankcase mount bolts and blocks; connect rear axle to transmission.

Here is original block in good shape still from a '24, note the impression of the face of the crankcase mount on the wood block. The flanged mount was made with the face to fit against the wood block, by design.

IMO, you can't out think Henry! :-)

How to fit:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:41 am:

From November 1926 on Ford put a couple of diagonal straps from the hogshead to engine bolts down to the upper pan arm bolts. These straps does much of the side sway control that the wood blocks did on earlier years cars, and consider that Ford left out the wood blocks on all '26/'27 TT's. So in my opinion you can leave them out if you like (I have), and if you put them in, you shouldn't tighten real tight, let the cotter pin secure the nut when it's just snug.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration