Promise made, promise kept.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Promise made, promise kept.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

It is time to reveal the plot.

I made a promise to my sons around Christmas that I would drive them to school in Shirley the model T http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/744391.html?1491959446 before the school year ended. That was the reason for the intensity of getting her working again. That promise was fulfilled today. Shirley worked great. Drove my sons to school and picked them up. The reaction was amazing like a time machine had descended in their midst. Sons were all smiles after months of waiting. My son finally got to put the hub caps on 'can we put them on yet?' We even went to the grocery store tonight. Wow, she drew a crowd. People were taking pictures and were very curious.

Thanks again to all for all the help. It made it possible to keep my promise.

At school.
So proud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Ignacio, this post really made my day !! Now you're set to have a lot of fun, how wonderful to have your sons involved, and enjoying the "journey" in every sense of the word !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Great Stuff Ignacio!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Life begins!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

... and no bugs on the window!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Hi Ignacio,

Your boys KNOW that they have The Best Dad! Smile wide and often. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Gulko on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:24 am:

I made the same promise to my son when he was 8 years old. Now he is almost 44 and he is the program director for our model T club and his wife is the webmaster. He learned how to work on cars by fixing and driving our model T.
We have always stayed very close to each other because of our mutual interest in antique autos.
This hobby seems to grow on you.
Good luck on your future shows and tours with the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Put a smile on my face too! Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Ignacio: There is no better feeling when you can crank or get in and press the starter button and drive off to where ever. The feeling priceless.
Congratulation and enjoy the ride and now get the top on and enjoy every minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:35 am:

Ignacio,

That's great! Wishing you and your son's many more miles together. Old cars can be a great shared hobby for years to come.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 04:45 am:

Ignacio, looks like a lot of hard, but fun, work has paid off. Would love to come by some time and see Shirley. I am just around the corner, unfortunately at MD Anderson, getting better. PM me with your phone number, and maybe some time in future will coordinate with you.
PS May be a little while
Thanks Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 04:49 am:

Ignacio, looks like a lot of hard, but fun, work has paid off. Would love to come by some time and see Shirley. I am just around the corner, unfortunately at MD Anderson, getting better. PM me with your phone number, and maybe some time in future will coordinate with you.
PS May be a little while
Thanks Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 05:58 am:

Great job!! That has come a long way in short time.

Now you get to refine it over time while enjoying it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:20 am:

Congratulations....that is so very, very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:44 am:

A any day another T is back on the road is a good day, especially with kids along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:59 am:

Now you are going to have to promise to teach your son to drive her.

I taught my daughter.

https://youtu.be/eWBEM4yjI1Y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Good job! And it's great to see more youngsters into the hobby. Keep calm and drive often. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Great job Ignacio :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Thanks all! Almost bumped a Tesla this morning. Note to self: foot mid-way on clutch when braking. That would have made for interesting pictures. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Congratulations! Already for the touring season.
Keep those young kids interested in the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Ignacio, you and I haven't met, but I've followed your posts from the beginning, and I have to admit that at first I had little hope, and really felt sorry for you! I thought,"This poor guy has really gotten in over his head"! But you amazed me and rose to the challenge! You are truly an inspiration for every T person and even people facing other challenges! Congratulations, kudos, well done, and hats off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Ignacio,

I was trying to think of a comment, but Lester said it best! Proud of you buddy! Not just for your tenacity in getting your T going, but for your dedication to your boys. Good job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Thanks again everyone, we had a ball driving the T to school nearly every day since April, also to the grocery store and church. Shirley is remarkably reliable since we went through everything. We are known throughout the neighborhood now. It is something of a redemption since the divorce. I noticed that divorced families tend to disappear from society. I did not want that to happen to my family and we did disappear for awhile. We are back!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

And back you are!
Thank YOU for sharing your journey thus far Ignacio! You, me and these folks know you are one tenacious sum-bitch! :-)
I think your boys have that figured out too eh?
More to come from you and there is always light at the end of the tunnel. :-)
These ol' T's are like Timex watches ain't they? Sort 'em out and they'll keep on ticking.

My parents divorced when I was 12 so perhaps I can relate in some little way. At the time I thought it was best for the both of them.
Prob'ly was. :-) Helped turn me into a tough ol' INDEPENDENT sum-bitch 'tho. :-)

T'ing: I didn't intend it to but a house project here and then the death of my Dad put my T'ing on hold (a separation of sorts) for many more years than it should've.
My grown son helped with the re-resurrection (he was always by my side during the initial resurrection/assembly in 96, 97 and 98 when he was young) and then I also helped myself with other issues with the T.
Yet, I kinda remained in shadow until a job loss (thank heavens!) opened my eyes, lifted a weight and the '18 Runabout in the shed, Lucky the TT and ol' Crappy-LizzHe will continue to help me out of a little bit o' darkness and we'll be once again known as the folks that have hundred year old cars and such and dare drive them to town.
It also helps big time when one's wife finds her way OUT of severe hormonal issues too!!! :-) Whew!

IF your actually a psychologist by trade, I realize I've shared WAY more than I should. Hahahahaha! :-)

You rock sir!

(Message edited by Duey_C on June 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Ignacio,
Thanks so much for sharing a wonderful time with your family.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration