Transmission Bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Transmission Bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne thompson on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:30 am:

If my 25 T has old style bands can they be replaced with new style bands without removing the transmission?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Maybe, they did it back in the day, but I'm unsure if I would do it - you'll have to cut off the old bands and cut the low pedal shaft 2-1/2" while it's still in place - got to try stop the filings from sawing coming down in the transmission with rags. Then the adjuster for the low band on the RH side has to be changed for the 26/27 style - or a piece of the cut off shaft loctited in the hole of the old one to create something like the 26/27 style.

My main reason against? I wouldn't like cutting the old bands..

Some very late '25:s got the demountable bands from the beginning - by June 1 1925 all of production had them, and by July 27 production of the improved '26 models started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:46 am:

The short answer is yes. You don't have to remove the engine/transmission. But the service manual says pull the hogshead. (See Page 131 in the Service Manual.) I would replace them with the new style so the next change can be done without pulling the hogshead. (Page 136.) I've done that, and it was mighty tough due to my inexperience. Now that I've been through it and know some things not to do, I'd do it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:39 am:

I use aircraft snips and cut the old band in pieces to remove - the low band shaft is easy to cut with a small hack saw - lots of rags & the shop vac will take care of the debris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

I just changed the bands on my 24 Touring and removed the hogshead to do so.

I think it would be really difficult to change them without pulling the hogshead.

That having been said, pulling the hogshead was so much of a !@#%@! hassle (specifically contorting my body through the little tiny passenger door trying to fit a massive piece of cast iron while avoiding the field coils and trying to position the clutch arm) that I will never do it again....never....not ever.

To compound things, you have to then get the hogshead installed with a new gasket while trying to do so before any RTV dries.

I've tackled some difficult automotive tasks in my life. I've pulled, rebuilt and replaced transmissions, engines and rear ends in all sorts of antique cars. But this wrestling session with a Model T hogshead (while the engine was in the car) was the single most unpleasant automotive thing I've ever done...second place wasn't even close.

The next time the bands need to be changed, I'll pull the whole engine/transmission and perform the change like a civilized human being. Having the whole thing on an engine stand while I stand/sit comfortably next to it would be hugely different and probably even enjoyable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Try that same exercise in a Centerdoor !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

I can't even imagine Steve.

Like Wayne, I want to switch to the newer bands but I will gladly pull the engine to remove the old bands and make the switch.

All the hassle associated with pulling engine is nothing compared to messing with that cursed hogshead in such a confined little space.

My uneducated guess is that the Model T mechanics back in the day pulled the engine when the had to remove a hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

No they were a lot younger back then, I mean the workers replacing the bands. They would not have pulled the engine to do a simple (LOL) job like changing the bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

I imagine most auto shops had a hoist on an overhead track. That would make removing the hogshead from an open car much easier than trying to lift it out by hand. Maybe a cherry picker would work with a closed car. Of course if you have the new style bands the hogshead can stay in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Big advantage of a speedster . . . :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Also depending on your speedster's body style - I have a full "Racer" body so I have to "go in - head first" !!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration