Modern carb comparing to vintage carb thoughts.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Modern carb comparing to vintage carb thoughts.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Vintage carbs have very poor to somewhat better atomization. From past racing experience I found that carbs designed and made in Japan would far out do carbs made in other locations up through the sixties. From day one after going through an NH its amazing how well they work BUT there has to be a modern carb that would work much better with not much change for use in a T.
Most motorcycle carbs are side draft and gravity fed. Most have seven overlapping methods of atomization. All would be an easy swap if I can get the atomization adjustments right
I currently have one new one paid 7.00 and a bank of four the same used free. One of them has at least twice the flow of an NH. I like the Les Shubert method all though my thoughts are not as aggressive. I do intend to use two of the bank of four and split the intakes on the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

To each his own, I guess. I'd quit driving my T before I put a jap carb on it. But that's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Our Pampered "T's" like the old Holley and Kingston carbs. It is true that better atomization will result in more efficiency,but there is a trade off. If you are building a speedster you are prepared for higher compressions and possibly higher head temperatures/hotter running temperatures, but for a standard driver "T" I see no reason to fix what ain't broke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

What ever shines your wire! I do many sales driving my T often stopping for a few minuets. The out side is vintage many conversations develop from how original it is---not so its built for as safe and comfortable as I can get it----better brakes and a few more HP help from impatient drivers cutting you off then slamming on still better brakes on a modern car---- from what I have seen posted some boys would can there brides for there T---to each his own!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Go for it. Model T's have been messed with since the day they were introduced. It's your car after all, do what you want, and when it is somebody else's' some day it is easy to change back. I run the evil Welbro from Texas T's and have no issues with. My only complaint is it does not offer full range of the throttle on the column, but if thought about it and put forth the effort I could probably remedy that. It never leaks a drop, starts easy, and runs fine. Just don't over do the CFM's you don't need much with the RPM a T turns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Carburetors made in Japan are "Japaneses" not "jap".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Mark, my wife's grandad, who was on the Bataan Death March and made to work as a slave prisoner for 4 years would probably disagree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Have you looked at the SU carbs? They look pretty good on a hot rod T motor. But you can get also get good performance out of a period aftermarket carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Paul, the NH is the best stock carb (other may argue) out there for the T. However, there are LOTS of great period correct aftermarket carbs that will make a dramatic improvement in how well your car idles, accelerates, and its top speed compared to the NH. A Stromberg OF rebuilt by Stan Howe is an EXCELLENT option, so is a Zenith S4BF, Winfield 5V, and my personal new favorite a U&J model F. Stan actually rebuilds all of those except for the Winfield.

There are also plenty of others that are an improvement over the NH. None of them are going to be as cheap as the one you just got, but they do have the advantage (at least advantage to me) of being period correct. Granted, this is coming from a guy with an Optima 6V battery and an electric fan on my radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

I think NH carbs are the best because anything named NH has to be Great!
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Don - I can understand your wife's grandfather. We tend to forget how brutal the Japanese were. Many of the Chinese also remember, therefore there are few Japanese cars in China.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Certainly do it. That's half the fun of having an old car is seeing what you can do to make it run better. Again, you may find that these old things, with timers and coils, stock carburetor, etc., end up running remarkably well, archaic as they are. Henry & Co. had it figured out pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Certainly do it. That's half the fun of having an old car is seeing what you can do to make it run better. Again, you may find that these old things, with timers and coils, stock carburetor, etc., end up running remarkably well, archaic as they are. Henry & Co. had it figured out pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Over the years, a lot of more modern, interesting side draft carburetors have been fitted to Model Ts. I have some motorcycle carburetors as well as the SU carburetors often seen on European and British sports cars of the 1950s through1970s. The intake manifold used on the 26-27 vaporizer carburetors can be easily adapted for side draft carburetor use. These manifolds are readily and cheaply available. Enjoy experimenting-that's part of the fun of owning a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

I never realized what a difference a carburetor made. I like the Holley G the best of the stock carbs. I found a Stromberg LF the other day on eBay. I figured it would need a lot of work but to my surprise it was missing one little plug. I just screwed in a screw to plug the hole and presto. It is a big improvement over the 4 ball Kingston I was running. I don't know about modern carburetors but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work out then I guess no harm done. It's not like chopping the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Funny! SKAT crank forgings are made in China.
Henry had to retract comments about Jews as I under stand. He built the long range B 24 that improved our submarine sinking on the eastern seaboard. The only brand of hand tools made in America is Arm Strong as I under stand. Many of my building power tools are made in Japan all are high quality.
My brothers all served in the air force the oldest in WWII later served in SAC flying B 47 served in Iran and V N as a instructor
I have deep respect for our veterans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Don

My grandfather was on Bataan, too, and on the same march. Made it to Japan on one of the death ships and oversaw medical attention of mostly Dutch and Chinese injured soldiers for years of incarceration. He was a physician drafted in his early 40's. He called 'em as he saw 'em. He's mentioned once in the book "Barbed Wire Surgeon". It is a book I highly recommend reading to find out what her grand-dad went through. Written by a surgeon who survived the ordeal.

God Bless your wife's grand-dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Don and Scott, I sympathize with your stories. I personally knew a guy who fought in the Malayan Campaign. He was bitter because he felt the soldiers never got the credit they deserved. He recalled an incident fighting in the jungles one night, when the company heard terrible screams nearby. Next morning they found two GIs who had been captured by the Japanese and filleted with sharp knives while still alive. After that incident, the order went down to take no prisoners. He never regretted Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

Hal Davis,Your not alone!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

I like the Nh carbs so far the are really easy to repair and run great after a clean up and rebuild. I like the simplicity vs more power for me. JMHO Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

My NH carb works great. The only problem you will have with one is trying to put an air filter on it. I like being able to adjust it on the fly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration