Moving 26 roadster - no engine pan.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Moving 26 roadster - no engine pan.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

I need to move my 26 roadster to my new house and it down not have the engine pan in it. What's the best way to get this on a trailer without bending the front springs?

I was thinking about using ratchet straps to tie the front axel with the rear axle, then use a come along tied to the front axel to pull it up on the trailer.

Ideas?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas
785-408-3409

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Take the radiator off and use a soft tie around the frame at the center or loop a soft tie over the top of the spring. You don't want to be pulling on the spring perch or axle. http://www.blazenauto.com/store/2a-15857511-B01F7O0OK4-Vault_Cargo_Management_VC M_SLTDS_12_4_Soft_Loop_Tie_Down_Straps.html or just tie a stout rope where it won't do any harm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

I don't know how far you are going, so you might want to tie down the wishbone ball by clamping a board across the frame and put a strap over the ball to just hold it in place. You could also do this with a piece of scrap steel. You just want something to keep the axle in place, it doesn't have to be fancy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Borrow a pan from Steve Jelf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Use a soft strap in this location between the top of the springs and the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Why not tie the rear axle in both directions to stabilize any front to rear motion and then stabilize the front to eliminate any side to side motion?
This would eliminate any front to rear stress on the front axle & frame, provided the rear is snug and can't move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

I'm going to try and use an old pan I have on a frame to temporarily bolt in and hold the front then use a come-a-long to pull it up on the trailer. Taking everything apart right now is a no-no because I don't have room or time to put it all back on. The whole car is together with no engine. I'll let you know how it goes.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Tony, he could do that but it would be a 340-mile round trip.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration