26-7 transmission with earlier hogsheads?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26-7 transmission with earlier hogsheads?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Is this possible? I realize I will have to use the narrow brake band

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

-Les-
FWIW, I was able to replace the 'injured' hogshead on the '25 engine in Dad's '26 TT with a later hogshead. That '25 engine had also been equipped with the wider '26-7 pedals.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Merv; Maybe this will help, I did the opposite, I put a 26/27 hogs head on a 1921 transmission and engine with the wider 26/27 brake band everything fit and works fine, the only thing I had trouble with was the 1921 oil pan, it wasn't wide enough for the larger brake band ,I had to stretch it. The pedal spacing is different, you will need to use an early brake band on the wider brake drum but I don't see any other problem. Brad from New Hampshire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

My 25 touring came to me with a 25 trans cover and pedals over a 26/27 transmission. The narrow band covered the front 2/3 or the wide drum but it all worked just fine. The pan was a 4 dip, not sure about using earlier 3 dip pans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

It should work, the three dip pan should also clear the wide brake drum without shortening - compare the complete brake drum assemblies with driving plate - the narrow style drum will have a driving plate with the bosses for the clutch arm pivots out and about as far back as where the drum surface is on the wide drum. Both take about the same room in the pan, but there's no room for the wide band in a three dip pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Thank you all. I have a decent late transmission. Thinking of installing with a aluminum hogshead to save a bit of weight on a race car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Les, it should fit with no worries, depending on the pan. Occasionally there is not quite enough clearance in the pan. The pan can easily be massaged a little. Just check as you go.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Les you may find, depending on the type of detachable ears on the transmission bands that they may need some additional work to gain clearance between them and the aluminum hogshead. Of course none of this would apply to non demountable bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

I really appreciate the comments. All great info

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration