26 roadster top questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26 roadster top questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Using this as a guide.
My measurements are not adding up. Posting pics so may take a minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

My top between socket ends is 32 7/8
Middle between socket ends is 32 7/8
Rear is 32 5/8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

I have no reason to believe this top is incorrect but maybe I should.
As per diagram the front top socket measures 30 1/2. Should be 29.

The middle socket measures 25 1/8. Should be 24 5/8

The rear socket measures 401/8. Should be 40. The rear socket is close enough but the others and top bows dont add up for 26 roadster per diagram.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

I started using string to measure but it stretched. Used wire and could repeat measurements

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

The photo with red line measures is for ref. to determine '26-'27 vs. '25-'23 one man runabout top irons.

Your rear top iron looks like '26-'27, with the crooked end. The middle and front seem like correct.

The main measure should be the wood bows for the width needed on the wider body of '26-'27

For '26-'27 these are the approx. wood bow measurement, there can be slight variation.
The front bow should measure approx. 36"
The middle bow 35 1/4"
The rear bow 35 3/4"

Those measures is the exposed span from end of each metal iron socket, the actual wood bows are longer, as each have 2 1/2" long undercut ends that inserts into each iron socket, and held with rivets.

The '25 roadster wood bows are shorter exposed span between the metal iron ends:
Front 33"
Middle 32 1/2"
Rear 32 1/4"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Dan, you think this may be 25 top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

The socket measure longer and bows measure shorter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

If those measure are shorter, then yes it may be '25. But the rear bow has the distinctive-crook- on the end?

But maybe someone bent the end, as the '26-'27 crook is a bit shorter than what your iron shows.

'26-'27 note the leading arm crook of the rear iron.

'23-'25 style

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Is there measurements of top sockets for 25 like my 1st photo? Is it possible the wood was replaced with wrong size?

The red lines are not important in this photo but the one bow has been cut with a saw where wood is missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Is there measurements of top sockets for 25 like my 1st photo? Is it possible the wood was replaced with wrong size?

The red lines are not important in this photo but the one bow has been cut with a saw where wood is missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Woops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Dallas

Zoomed in on the photo and I would say the wood bows aren't original to the irons, no rivets, and wood looks too thick, the metal openings are cocked apart too far.

Dimension of wood bow for '26-'27

'23-'25 Roadster top irons dimension sketch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Thanks Dan,I will check measurements against 23-25 top measurements.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration