Brown floor mat turns white!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brown floor mat turns white!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:53 am:

My 15 year old white floor mat for my '14 had turned brown, a common enough occurrence these days. It also wasn't lying flat, due to some careless storage. So I laid it out on the black deck of my open trailer hoping that a day in the sun would flatten it out again. But in the flurry of the last few days before leaving for Bakersfield, I forgot about it. It lay there for fully nine days. In that time, we had sun, rain, wind, and snow with temps ranging from the 20s into the 60s. When I got back, I saw it still lying on the trailer. After a few self-administered swift kicks for forgetting to bring it in, I saw that not only was it now lying flat but it had turned snow white again on its top side! The underside was still that brownish tan. I'm not real good with a camera, so the photos don't show the contrast between the sides very well, but the underside is, definitely, still that usual dingy beige.

I don't what caused it; perhaps it was merely bleached in the sun, or maybe it was the combination of different weather and temps. Nor do I know if some of you with similarly browned mats or maybe even all white tires would like to try leaving them out. But for me, it was a happy accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I need a mat for my 14 but I can't ever decide white or black. I like the white but looks like it would get dirty fast like white carpet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:20 am:

You missed Fools Day by a full two weeks -- surely you're screwing with us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Nope; it really happened!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Lay those white tires out lets see what happens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Those UV rays will do that....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Well, I've laid other things out in the sun and the results haven't been pretty. So maybe it was the combination of elements. All I know is, it was brown, now it's white, and I can put it back in the car where it will look good again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

You forgot to put the approved inner tubes under it! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Well, all the humor and speculation aside, first one would have to wonder, as well as, determine if the mats are made of the same "rubber" as the tires. Then go from there. We're gonna know in about a month or so now that my "second generation" set of white tires are mounted with said approved tubes. I wish I'd have paid more attention to the previous tires, as these new ones sure look they've had something "painted" all over them. I'll post a pic here, you can decide. Even the tire installer dudes agreed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about when gray tires looked like a gray coating over a white tire, but then the last white tires I handled looked like a white coating over a gray tire.

That's something I'm going to add to the record of variables when I get back into it this spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

I had fully planned to buy four new whites, but I am gonna wait until we see what transpires with your new tires.

Just for curiousity, does your installer use irons or a machine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

My car has a black mat. I've wanted a white one, but been too cheap to buy it. Maybe I'll try putting my black mat outside for a while and see if it turns white.

Mr. Thrifty, you have competition !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Tim,
I just received my 4 Non Skid Tidy Whities. I was a bit surprised that they did not seem to be as white as I expected. It also seems they are coated with something. Maybe it is the same stuff that RV has on his floor mat.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Anyone ever see how they make tires, and all the different layers involved, that are wrapped before molding and vulcanizing? That pic Tim posted makes me think the tires are cored with cheaper black rubber, and have an outer white layer of rubber put on then molded.

I dont own any white tires, nor studied any at all, but have been watching the tire browning issue since I have a 13 I want whites on in the future after its done (at least a year or 2 away). So, any of this is hypothetical.

So if these tires are cored with black rubber, and a thin outer white layer, is that part of the browning problem? Meaning the stuff in the black rubber is seeping through the white?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

What suppliers are selling the coated tires??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Benjamin, the white tires from 20-30 years ago that stayed white were black on the inside, so I doubt that's the root cause of the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian korth on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

R.V. can i bring my set of brown non skids over to set on your trailer for nine days to see if they change back to white again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Walter, well, that tosses my hypothesis then. Unless the formula has changed as some said it has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:17 am:

Tim, sure does looks painted to me also. Doubt it will go brown now, instead it will probably go grey or black as the paint wears off. Good for show cars not go cars. Rather than come up with a white rubber tyre that doesn't go brown, they've stopped making white rubber tyres.

Those Firestone smooth grey tyres were painted white tyres.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 03:48 am:

I doubt any tires were "painted" either gray or white, that would soon show when the tread was worn just a bit. Am I missing something? JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Dick F., I think you'll have that black mat out in the sun for quite a while! LOL.

Mike S., yeh, I had the same reaction the first set of whities I bought last year, maybe it's my imagination, but I'd almost (& I do mean almost) be willing to say these tires from the "new batch" seem to be just a fuzz whiter. Probly wishful thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:46 am:

I put a black floor mat out this week and it also turned white. But by the end of the day it turned black again after the temperature got above 32 degrees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

RV - I see a side business in your future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Tim Lloid,
To answer your question, I got my tires (and tubes) from Universal Vintage Tires, in Hershey PA. The two companies that Ashley, from Lang's mentioned, were Lucas and Universal. They both offer the WTTB return policy, but she said one of the companies was easier to work with.
Regards,
Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration