Dope cups: How much?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dope cups: How much?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

There are several Model T lube charts from various sources. All of them tell you to turn the grease cups at various mileages, of course. But I haven't seen anything on those charts that gives any details on that. On rear axles, for example, do you give the cup three or four turns, or run it in all the way after you fill it? Is there any place other than the U-joint that takes more than one cup at a time? Oil cups are easy. Just fill them full and let gravity do its thing. But how much grease?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

This is not an expert recommendation, just my experience, based on driving on pavement all the time:

All of my dope cups except for the lower steering shaft bearing have zerk fittings in them.

For the lower steering shaft bearing, I give it an occasional turn whenever I have the driver's side of the hood up. I turn it until I see grease oozing out of the ends of the bearing, then I clean off the excess. I have only had to re-fill the cup twice in the four years I have had the car.

My rear axle has the modern neoprene inner grease seals. Initially, I was giving my grease gun a couple of pumps into the outer Hyatt bearings every month. After taking the rear wheels off for inspection, I found that big globs of grease were getting pumped out the ends of the axles. Luckily, the grease was still stuck to the outer axle seal housing and hadn't fouled the emergency brake linings. Now I give the outer Hyatt bearings a pump or two only once a year.

I give the driveshaft front bearing a couple of pumps and the U-joint six to eight pumps twice a year.

Steve, since you frequently drive on dirt roads, you might want to grease and oil more frequently than I do, but take an occasional look at your outer rear axle seals to make sure you aren't overdoing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Ford Instruction book (Owners manual) gives that data.

Did an experiment of dope cup grease vs. Zerk fitting grease for those that use pressure guns.
Filled dope cup up to top, turned and turned for the cup to go all the way down for a single 'seating'.

Test subjects :-)

3 full seatings of 'filled' to the top, dope cup.

3 full strokes of the grease gun with Zerk.

Seems 3 full seatings of dope cup is more than enough. Likely 2 full seating would suffice if you followed the mileage schedule for certain. If not, then if you occasionally get out the disp gloves and the can of grease, go for 3 full seatings! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Mark

to comment on your post

After taking the rear wheels off for inspection, I found that big globs of grease were getting pumped out the ends of the axles. Luckily, the grease was still stuck to the outer axle seal housing and hadn't fouled the emergency brake

Just found the same thing yesterday in checking the rear Hyatt's after 2 tours, about 1,000 miles. Had some grease leakage on the passenger side, but gobs of grease on the drivers side, spilling over on the wheel too from the rear drum.

This photo after I rubbed away the gobs, but what you can't see is that I didn't install the tiny cover cups that come with the alum housing neoprene outer seals. Some grease was coming thru the hole that locates the bump on the Hyatt sleeve. On the driver's side the small neoprene seal at the axle was split, guess from axle wear.

Note all the remaining gray grease from first packing, after 1000 miles and I did the 2-3 cup turning after each tour.

So I did the correct install and placed that little cup.

Now with the new outer seal in place, shouldn't have any more trouble.

Re-greased with red this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Dan thanks for that grease cup comparison!I wondered how much grease they pumped I never thought that much!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration