Are street rods accepted ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Are street rods accepted ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Kilbury on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

I've been looking for a Model T Touring. I found a beautiful 1925 on ebay, and it's really nice. Unfortunately it has a Chevy 350 motor and transmission, but I can see the advantages it that for me. Would that car be welcome at club events, like the Model T tours? Be nice, I'm just a beginner. It looks like a model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

Not well accepted around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Larry, what Jack said is correct. This site is for original or Ford powered 4 cylinder same with Fordbarn (T, A, Early/Late V8).
The Jalopy Journal would be more in line with what you have:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/

The Jalopy Journal can connect you to H.A.M.B. and they deal in you type of car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

I'm afraid the Ebay offering would fit in better with the street rod crowd - this bunch leans more to stock Ts and cars with modifications that would have been available during the T era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Larry,

It's good you asked the question on this forum. Virtually all of the club members are devotees of T's with their original engines, even if modified. The accepted modifications are almost exclusively what was available to owners of Model T's when new or shortly thereafter. It is true that the Model T was certainly the one car that was most subject to modification, but a later engine, of a different brand is considered sacrilege to this group. I would say that most will probably be polite to you but they're not very likely to go out of their way to make you and a Chevy powered T especially welcome.

Just like tail dragger airplanes and early 911 Porsches the T owners in this group enjoy the challenge of keeping these cars on the road, despite of or in some cases because of their idiosyncrasies. And you can't forget the fascination most club members have with Henry Ford as the father of the T, so again, a T with a Chevy engine won't win you any friends here. I hope you take no offense, but you need to know.

Happy motoring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

You could purchase this T and then join your local club and go on tours with them. Unfortunately, you'd have to wait at the ice cream shop for several hours for them to catch up.

But, you'd look good doing it.

Maybe the Ford Barn forum as well? I think you'd be welcomed here if you posted a question about something with your T that was related to a stock T issue such as doors or seats or something that appears original. Conversion questions or 12v questions or things along those lines would not get much response. Not so much because you are bing snubbed, but because that is not the data base of this forum's membership.

IMO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Kilbury on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Thanks to all of you for your replies, advice, and informational help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Well said Gary.
I believe many of the old car clubs were founded with the idea of preserving or restoring the cars as they were from the factory or at least back in the day. We seem to bicker about what is good, correct and right even within that idea. Some of us enjoy seeing the creations that are built with more modern components. Others not so much. I think a Street Rod group would have more to offer you than we would.
Cars should be enjoyed. I hope you have fun regardless of how you do it.

(Message edited by rich eagle on April 14, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Me thinks it is Prozac Forum Friday ..

Or maybe because it is Good Friday ...

Or maybe the Flamethrowers need re-fueling ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Larry,

The Model T Ford is more of an experience than an image. I would recommend you choose an original Model T of any year so that you don't miss out on one of the most unique and enjoyable experiences a person can ever have.

From your question, it sounds like the looks of the Model T intrigue you, but the hot rod seems more practical, and perhaps it is.

With all due respect though, your logic reminds me of the guy who wanted to learn to skydive, but settled for a ride in a 747 cause it was safer.

The forum is a great place to find someone who can give you a ride in the real deal. At least that way, you can make an informed decision.

I hope you become a member of this gang!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Where are you located, Larry? Maybe someone nearby will offer you a ride in a T that's reasonably authentic. That will help you decide whether you'd enjoy one of your own. Either "Yes" or "No" is a legitimate answer to that question, but it's best answered after a bit of experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

With the stock Model T suspension, steering and brakes, I would be afraid to have that much power. 45 MPH is scary enough for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Hay Larry. I go to this forum to check out the hot rods. Good bunch of guys.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Some people like both. Some people do NOT!
I know that hot rodders, can take great pride in their cars. They have many activities available to them, and a lot of fun as individuals and groups.
However, most hot rodders do not in the least understand the "model T connection". Many things, photos, family heirlooms, Civil War reenactments, but especially antique automobiles, can help us connect to our histories, heritage, and in a special way, to ourselves and our place in the universe. Of all the antique automobiles, the model T Ford more than any other, seems to have the ability to connect its caregiver to all that. Working on one, driving it alone down a quiet road, or a huge group tour with the sights and sounds of dozens of model Ts buzzing around? Cannot be explained.

A lot of people have come to the model Ts from hot rods. They still love their hot rods. But many of them have told me that they "connect" with their model T.

One must find their own way. Often, the future does allow U-turns. The model T will be waiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:50 am:

I enjoyed both worlds till we retired, sold all and began exploring South America. Our 3 T's were stock because that is how we wanted to enjoy that experience. From your initial sentence I take it you want that same experience as well. Rather than search questionable items on ebay, you may want to consider joining a local T club. They will be your best bet at finding the touring of your dreams

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:51 am:

This site is for original or Ford powered 4 cylinder same with Fordbarn

Really - cars with etimers, water pumps, Rajo-Laurel heads, RM brakes....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

Larry, the other MTFCA members and I don't mean to be disrespectful or clique-ish, but the MTFCA and the MTFCI are groups of restorers who desire to restore and preserve the Model T as a piece of automotive history. Speedsters and Gow Jobs are accommodated as long as they have Model T based motors and running gear. There are many other groups who serve the interests of highly modified car owners. Welling you well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Actually, the folks on the Jalopy Journal (and the HAMB) are as picky as we are regarding what is permissible to be discussed on their site. They deal with "Traditional" Hot Rods and Customs, such as ones which might have been built in the 40's, 50's, and early 60's. Mustangs and muscle cars are prohibited; Corvettes are OK if they're early ones. A post there about an OT car will be deleted immediately, whereas OT posts here sometimes run on for weeks.

I happen to like Traditional Rods and Customs and am building a post-WW-II-style Hot Rod now. That doesn't mean I enjoy my stock T any less. But when "Real Hot Rods" morphed into "street rods" a few decades ago, I lost interest in those.

Larry, the car you're looking at might not fit into the HAMB any better than it does here. It depends upon how it is built. If it's a street rod, you'll need to find a website in which those are the focus. I don't know what the car you're looking at looks like, so I can't tell you which category it falls into. If you want to email me a picture or the ebay listing, I'll be glad to advise you where to look for support. One thing's for sure, there are websites, clubs, and organizations for pretty much every kind and type of car on the planet. There is a group which will welcome you with open arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

I don't know for sure but I'll bet the 25 Touring on Ebay has a 25 Touring body on an altered or some other frame other than an original T frame.
The T frames just aren't practical to install a 2-400 HP engine in them.
Sure anything can be done but if I wanted a Hot Rod I would go for a Model A or an early 30's Ford of some kind.

I came to that conclusion in the 60's. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

"and then they came after me"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Anyone can join the club even though he doesn't have a T. In fact it could be an advantage to join before you look for a car, because there are many leads and help in finding a good one.

Some local clubs allow modern cars or non T's to join our tours. Usually they are asked to follow the Model T's.

I for one think your car would be appreciated in another club which is for modified cars, but I happen to be an old man who remembers the cars the way they were when I was a boy.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Some of you really surprise me. It's amazing what is accepted here and how some people get branded with the dreaded title "Purist", like they have frigging leprosy or something, but then you look down your nose at a T with a 350? You're no better than the "Purists" that you have such disdain for. You just draw your line in a different place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Hal.
According to the Feds I can draw the line anyplace I FEEL is OK.
Today a model T has to be completely original - including the air in the tires.
Tomorrow anything with a T in the name is OK.
The next day I'm going to look for a bathroom that suits my feeling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Its all TRUE! We are all self-centered little PIGS!
It is. We are.
I have been in my happy little corner of the hobby for most of my life. I figured out quite early what I liked, and why. Over the years, my focus has narrowed, not because my mind did, but because my wallet won't allow me to have even one tenth of what I want. So I focus more on what I like best.

For many many years, when asked the question "how do I get involved with these things"? I tell people to join a few clubs. Get to know some of the people near you. Ask questions. Figure out what you want in a collector car. And what do you want from it?
It is not, never really has been, an "us versus them" thing. The collector car hobby has many dozens of areas of interest.
While there are many crossover and related areas of interest? Even things like brass era horseless carriages and later model Ts don't fully mix together. Non-Ford nickel age, Classic Car Club of America, sports car clubs '55/'6/'7 Chevys, are all different things. Like Mike W says, even old era hot rodders and modern street rodders only mix so much. add '60s cruisers, muscle cars, and low riders, and you begin to see the scope of it all. Burger's "show snobs" (inside joke) and automobilia collectors just add to the list.
None of it is really wrong. Most of us cross over some of those lines in several places. Most of us also can appreciate cars we would not personally choose to own as well.

So. First, find your place, where you want to go. Find the appropriate clubs for that. Get a little involved, and figure out a little more what YOU really want. Do some research (values etc). Then go for it.

Whatever you get? Drive carefully, and enjoy it! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Speak for yourself! I don't think there is any such thing as we!WE,if there ever was can"t agree on what a Model T is or even the color! We,Can't agree on what is safe for your model or where or how to drive your's or our's! We if there ever was can't even agree on how to haul/tow/ or even tie one in or on what trailer to use!! Everyone has their own thoughts and i for one a'm glad because that is how i learn from others!! A good case in point of we is overheating!! When we are asked some say in every instance you need to buy a new radiator no matter the cost because if you have a 90 year old T no previous owner could have bought one ever!!! Nope we can't try to find the cause,just spend the money!! There ain't no such thing as we! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration