Clamp on mirrors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Clamp on mirrors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan J Boyer Jr on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Last August my dad took delivery of his '17 T that he had restored. We are currently looking for side mirrors that clamp on to the windshield frame. He really likes the nickel plated mirrors that Langs sells, but would like to know if they are good quality. We don't want anything that is going to shake to the point that it isn't useful to have. Any advice helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

I have the brass version on my 1915. It jiggles a little, but not too badly. I can see if there's a car behind me, and that's what it's all about.

I have a piece of old inner tube inside the clamp to protect the window frame. I hope it also dampens some of the vibration.

It's a handy item to have, especially when you have the top up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:25 am:

I have the same type as Steve. They vibrate like crazy. I still figure it's better than nothing. At least I can tell if there is a car there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:29 am:

Alan, if you want a mirror which is steady enough to see a car clearly, those that mount on the windscreen are not the answer. If you can find mirror heads which please you, they could be mounted on a short arm to the bolt holding the sidelight to its bracket. This is a much more solid mounting than the windscreen frame.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:48 am:

Like Steve Jelf, I have the mirrors from Lang's but I used a couple small pieces of 1/4" rubber belting that cut down to stick inside the mirror's clamp. That way I can tighten them down securely and cut down on the vibration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:46 am:

The mirrors made by Antique Motor Sports are the best usable mirrors I have found. All the clamp-on ones I have used vibrate so much that you can't see out of them. These attach to the windshield on one of the hinge bolts and are rock-steady.

http://www.antiquetmotorsports.com/

Click on "products"; they sell through ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:11 am:

I have the clamp-on mirror. Troy Todd is correct. I do know if there is a car behind me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:57 am:

I have this one from Langs:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/7853TEL.aspx

It doubles as a speedometer - if it starts shaking so badly that it becomes useless, I know I'm going too fast! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:21 am:

If you can find one of the older copies of that mirror you might be ok. Biggest problem with the newer ones is that they are made out of too thin of material. The older ones had more body to them and less vibration.
I have an old era mirror on my T, clamp on type, round tube post, sticks out about the same distance, very little vibration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Since y'all are discussing mirrors....if anyone has a weathered windshield post mirror, I'm looking for one.

(yes...I've posted this in the classified section)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Here is a direct link to the one Mike Walker mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-brass-rear-view-mirror-1910-1916-/381156361 198

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Almost any of the mirrors can be used but the problem I have with them is they are not long enough to get a view behind a touring car. They may be ok on a roadster. I saw one like Mike described at Hershey but it had an adjustable arm to extend the reach. Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Here is a photo of the Mirror I typically use. It is a Model A Ford open car post Mirror for 1930-31. It has one drawback, the thread pitch that threads into the post it 3/8 NF but the windshield is 5/16 NC. I machine the post down to 5/16 then re- thread the post at that point the assembly is ready to install. A little labor intense but a clean look.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

I had this mirror on my '14 which did not vibrate at all. I did use a little rubber cushion behind the clamp. It is not a repro, it is a very old accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Troy -- Thanks for that link.

BTW, the mirrors are available in brass, as shown there, and also black or chrome finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

The "trick" to having a steady mirror is you need the mass of the very end "mirror itself" to be very heavy. The one I have was made for awhile and it works very well. I bought it from the carburetor guy in Bismark, IL. I don't have a picture of it but the round mirror part of it had a plug in it and it was filled with very tiny lead balls. That made it difficult for the vibrating windshield to give you the "fleet of cars" behind you look when there really was only one car. The plug popped out once and I lost some of my lead shot that was in there and immediately the mirror wasn't as steady as before. I have not yet repaired it but it is on my list for this spring.

Mine mounts to my '23 touring car with only a simple solid steel bent arm that uses a single hinge bolt for mounting. The round bracket shaft was machined out to form a curved V shape that lets a single bolt hold it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

John I would guess the theory behind that would be the same as a deadblow hammer. I may have to try the rubber mounting to see if that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

It dawned on me that a verbal description of how much something jiggles is worthless. So here's a little video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNhMiW67cmw

A lot of the shakiness is from the cameraman shooting with one hand and driving with the other.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Steve, your mirror is a lot more stable than mine, I'm going to have to order one like yours (if they make them in black). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

I have the re pro's like Jeff's and no problem, very sturdy, Bob
eBay item number:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Jeff your mirrors vibrate much less than mine. Maybe the rubber helps a lot more than you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:18 am:

When I was a kid I had one on the car that was from back in the day. The mirror itself was very heavy. I don't recall it vibrating much. Somewhere over the years while I was away and Lenis waited for me in the barn the mirror disappeared. I replaced it with one of the new ones from the vendors. Very lightweight. As others have noted it serves doubly as a speedometer. Before the engine rebuild at 27 MPH you could see nothing in it. After the rebuild that moved to 32 or so. I attribute that to the SCAT crank and a concerted effort to get the pistons all weighing the same.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration