The $50 Rebate Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The $50 Rebate Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

As we know, Ford made the headlines in 1915 with his offer to give a cash rebate (turned out to be $50) if sales of his Ford Model T eclipsed 300,000 units in one year!

The rebate was offered to purchasers of T's from August 1914 to August 1915.

Two records for that year of 1915, Ford had sold 1 million cars, and sold 300,000 cars in one year.

Here is a period announcement from a trade journal:

But real interesting.....you might have that record setting T! Note the serial number of the Ford that broke the amazing 300,000 record!

Could that T still exist today? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:31 am:

Dan there will be 3 or 4 ''untouched originals'' available on the net auction sites soon....LOL Great Post! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:13 am:

I will get this started, I have #585,493. Let's see how close someone can get to #850,938.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:37 am:

547417 Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:42 am:

My '15 Runabout is one of the 300,000 as well. Serial number 698,xxx, cast date 2/17/15. I'll try to remember to check my spare motor tomorrow, but I think it's an early calendar year '15 block too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Mine is 824958, June 17. 850938 is about a month later, July 16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

How many of you still have the envelope that the rebate check came in? :-)

Great-Grandpa put a $30 deposit down on a new Touring on October 7th 1914, and took delivery on October 22nd. The rebate was postmarked September 8th 1915.

We also have both duplicates of the original bill of sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Ghormley - Covington Ga on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

'14 Touring #591448 was purchase new by my grandfather on Oct 8, 1914 for $524.00. He received the $50 rebate on Aug 15, 1915. We still have the original rebate letter and envelope (somewhere). And yes, we still have Lizzy too. She's in the garage ready to go, patiently awaiting.

Grandpa's Journal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Mike, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting! That is interesting!

Where was your car purchased? Engine number is about 6,000 later than my parents car, but it was delivered 2 weeks earlier.

It would be interesting to compare the two cars. One topic that frequently comes up with cars built in this timeframe is the steering quadrant. Does yours have the steel "sawblade" quadrant with the up-turned serrated edge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Ghormley - Covington Ga on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Hi Derek - Lizzy was purchased in Hutchinson, Ks. Engine casting date 9-25-1914.

quadrant

It does have the steel "sawblade" quadrant as you describe (pix attached). I have it off right now whilist I re-buck the brass rivets that secure the two piece brass steering gear castings together. As you can see, most of the teeth are worn smooth. The throttle and spark levers are also worn about 2/3 of the way through. Lots of miles, many stories therein...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration