Re spoke a 1927 Model T(Canadian)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Re spoke a 1927 Model T(Canadian)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:26 am:

I am putting in new spokes in my wheels in a 1927 T, I am just getting ready to press them in, I see the tendons will not fit in the felloes , I found an old post that points out late 27's Canadian cars have different spokes, with a taper from the outside to inside, each spoke alternates. As well the tennons are slightly smaller than the 1/2" diameter,also 1/8" longer. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:56 am:

Brent, you are correct about the Canadian spokes having a taper outside to inside and alternating. This makes the wheels stronger and at the same time makes them easier to rebuild. Usually no spoke press required.

I don't know about the tenon size.

The spokes in 23" wheels do differ in length, if the wheels are the loose lug type with which I am most familiar, as the felloes are slightly greater in diameter. However, I am not sure there is any difference in the lengths of spokes for 21" wheels, as all have the same type of rim and it mounts in the same way. I am not aware of any of the vendors offering the tapered Canadian type spokes.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Brent, the Canadian cars do have the spokes with the taper front to rear which alternate. It makes for a stronger wheel which is easier to build, usually not requiring a spoke press.

There is a difference in length of spokes on 23" wheels. The Canadian sourced wheels with which I am familiar, have loose lug rims. These mount to a felloe of slightly larger diameter, so the spokes are a little longer.

As far as I know, all the 21" wheels should have the same length spokes, as the rims all mount the same way and are interchangeable. I don't know of any of the vendors offering Canadian type tapered spokes.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Thanks Allen, I'm going to do some fine measuring today or tomorrow, I'm thinking I can drill the felloes to accommodate the tenons of the new spokes, I'm going to measures lengths and diameters, I'm hoping I can modify the spokes I've bought from Langes to work

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration