OT Question About AAA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Question About AAA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 03:34 am:

I just got an offer to join AAA today. I've never been a member, anyone here have any experiences with them? The first year's dues are $54.00, but they don't say what the next years dues are. We're getting older and we do some traveling, although not a lot. I'm thinking more about driving the T and needing a tow sometime down the road. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 05:57 am:

I've had them for 20 years. We have it for peace of mind, your breakdown towing is free, regardless if your are driving your car or out with a friend and their car breaks down. If you get locked out of your car, they come. If you are considering a trip or vacation their guides and trip planning rival anybodys. Many restaurants, museums, merchants, and especially motels and hotels offer discounted rates with your AAA card. After the first year our membership is about $120 a year for both of us. Being retired, I don't care to spend the extra money, but I have yet to fail to get services that would have cost me more without my membership. Plus my wife has peace of mind about being out on her own and needing roadside assistance. I do recommend them highly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:01 am:

David (P.S.)a quick call and they will explain your charges and every option available

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:02 am:

Thanks Gary, that was what I wanted to know about the fee after a year. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:36 am:

David, I worked for AAA in an administrative position back in the 90's and got AAA+ as a job perk. When I left I continued my plus membership solely for the peace of mind as Gary posted above. Definitely worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:41 am:

I have had AAA for 25-30 years and I have always had a good experience. I have AAA+

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Its piece of mind. I just have the standard membership which I believe is $89 for my wife and I. I got it primarily for her, because at the time I was traveling and wanted to make sure at the very least she could get home with the car. As explained above, they do have many benefits, we use it to take a safe driving course they offer at a discount rate which is good for a 5% reduction on my car insurance. Get locked out, run out of gas, get a flat? No problem, call them up.

There are three levels of membership I believe and I know the Top level will also cover towing of your trailer if your vehicle brakes down. Something to consider if you tow alot to tours and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:00 am:

I ended up switching to Allstate Motor Club. Bit cheaper, plus (last I knew) it covers all cars and all drivers. AAA charges extra. Just my thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Broke a rear axle in a very remote area. A rollback had me home within 2 hours.

Granddaughter locked her car keys in my driveway She was a non-member at the time. Within an hour AAA had her way home. There were no questions asked.

In my case, the dues have more than paid for themselves. Money well spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Gary's first response pretty well sums up what I'd say. I have a Plus membership and enjoy the peace of mind. Originally got it for the T when I was on tours, but never needed it for that. Last fall, the battery in my everyday car was stone dead one morning. The AAA battery service truck showed up fairly quickly and I had a new battery shortly afterwards. Also like the discounts at hotels and attractions, and before a trip west two years ago, I got the tour books covering every state I was going to be in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:53 am:

I am a member and they have saved my butt a few times.

If you decide to join, be aware that the free towing distance for the basic membership is very low. Take a look at their upgrade packages and pick the one with the towing distance that best meets your needs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:59 am:

I have AAA Plus with 100 miles free towing with each call. I have used it more for modern cars than the Model T. One nice thing is the roadside assistance follows the individual, not the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:19 am:

I was a member of the Automobile Club of Southern California, a AAA affiliate, because in those days ACSC had the world's best road maps. But sometime in the seventies or eighties they changed their map format to conform with the AAA's less detailed maps. I stuck with them anyway, but when I moved to Kansas they expelled me for living in another state. The woman who wrote my expulsion letter suggested I join the AAA of Arkansas. When I replied that I wasn't in Arkansas, she suggested AAA of Arizona. In my final note to her I said I hoped she wasn't one of the people who mark members' maps showing them what route to take.

None of that has anything to do directly with AAA. Just one of life's silly adventures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:25 am:

As Mark stated, you may want to seriously consider the PLUS membership if only for the extra towing distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Sign up with a plan you feel fits your budget. I have used AAA twice this year already.

Also, another compelling reason is a look at some of the pics the other day on the forum pertaining to towed Model Ts.
The carnage is not pretty.

Lastly, you can use them for all your vehicles. I always prefer flat bed towing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:58 am:

We have the Premier package because they will come if you have a trailer problem, flat tire, broken hitch and so on.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

I have AAA+ they have good service usually, but the last time, they sent a locksmith who wanted a $50 cash payment above the AAA service. I was in the city, at my home, and I thought this was unwarranted. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

I have the RV+ program that includes towing for both my RV AND trailer if we get disabled. Have used it several times and feel it is well worthwhile. In one case my '60 Volvo lost a fuel pump (aren't you glad we don't have those?) in heavy commuter traffic on the Viaduct (an elevated bridge for Highway 99) in Seattle. By the time a wrecker could get to me, I'd created a major backup (Highway 99 was slammed from the south end of the viaduct to Green Lake on Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving). There was no shoulder or place to go. Turns out the wrecker called by the state patrol got there and started hookup just before the AAA guy got there. I paid and then AAA promptly cut me a check for the fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

David - I think I would have called AAA and voiced a complaint. I don't think they take kindly to that type of service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

AAA is worth having. BUT - it can get overwhelmed. Three years ago I was driving my VW to Virginia when a belt let go. Warning lights from here to eternity, no power anything, discharging battery. I limped to my destination motel on the last erg in the battery, and called AAA to get a tow to a VW dealer the next day.. There had been a bad snowstorm a few days before, and it was the beginning of a holiday weekend. AAA's answering service said it would be several HOURS before they could even answer my call. After trying for too bloody long to find a tow outfit that would talk to me, I called Hagerty. I told them I had antique coverage with them, that I had a problem with my modern car, and asked whether they could recommend a tow outfit. Within a half hour I had a call from a tow guy, who set me up with a tow in the morning. Hagerty called back to be sure the guy had contacted me. The next morning the tow truck showed up right at the appointed time, and away we went. I also got ANOTHER call from Hagerty, making sure I was being taken care of.

Have I mentioned that I like Hagerty?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

I have to mention in passing that becoming a legitimate AAA member also justified my displaying on the T the 1920s or 1930s porcelain AAA license place badge that a friend gave me years ago...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

I am not a member of AAA, but I would look at the roadside assistance services provided by your insurance company. Often, a few more dollars a year will get you roadside assistance and may be cheaper than the AAA annual dues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

I have had AAA more than 40 years.
about 6 years ago I got our teenage daughter a AAA card.
I just renewed our membership this week.
My daughter has her own insurance.
She has had to callAAA three times that I know of.
The membership renewal was $34 for each of us, her my wife and myself.
My wife and I have AAA car insurance for our daily driver cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Be carefull with insurance for towing.lots of restrictions. We have free towing. Mine does not cover motorcycles. Dont ask how I found this out 3 states from home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

To David Stroud: I would not be with out it. I started in 1966, and have just the standard towing. For the years 1966 to 2001 I was in business with a lot of traveling and only needed it few times but boy what a deal. Was rear ended by a drunk driver, my P.U. was towed to my house , then to the repair shop a few days later for repair.
Good service so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Dad joined a long time ago and is a lifetime member. Paid something like $16, I think. Maybe more, but not by much. I pay almost that for OnStar every month. Wish I could get a lifetime membership to AAA, but they don't do that. Probably can't afford to offer it anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 01:17 am:

Been a member over 40 years. Not as "local" and as helpful as they used to be, but still pretty good. I've had AAA+ for a long time. Our Honda blew a head gasket just outside of Redding, CA. The tow to my driveway in Oroville was 99 miles! ONE mile under the limit!Whew! Today it would have been 112 miles--oh well! I think that tow paid for a few years of membership!
David S, hope you reported that Locksmith to AAA, he would no longer get calls from them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:40 am:

AAA works in Canada as well as the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:41 am:

David; the best thing I can say about AAA is when I was 200 miles from home in my antique car (non-ford)when the tow truck driver arrived he said AAA told him since it was an antique vehicle he needed to confer with the owner about the best method of attaching the vehicle to the winch and the best places for tie down. The driver listened and I got the car to a friends house. they do provide a good service and it's not the time to wish you had it at 1 am on A1A in Fla.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:56 am:

I blew a high pressure pump on my F-350 last summer coming back to NC from MTFCI summer tour 300 miles from home. AAA picked up 100 miles of the bill to get the truck back to my shop at 4 dollars a mile. Still cost me 800$ to get it home but we rode with it and put all our gear in the truck so that saved renting a car or other transportation to get us home. Dennis Fleming came out and got my trailer and T and kept it safe at his place till I could retrieve it. Out of pocket it cost me 2000$ in the end but AAA saved me probably 600$. You don't appreciate it till you have a major failure and need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:10 am:

We have AAA plus (100 miles towing) for my wife and I and it is a gift for my daughter each year.
My wife laughs when I make out the check for my daughter and says something like so you want to stay home when she forgets to turn the lights off, locked the keys in her car, or gets a flat tire! - good move!!
We have had plus for many many years and have given it to my daughter for over 15 years.
We normally use them 2-3 times (no comment about which daughter forgets to turn the headlights off) a year but there was one year when I was driving an unreliable car we used it 7 times.
It has been worth every penny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 02:23 am:

Many thanks guys. I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal. We have had towing insurance with State Farm for years which has been very good for us, although that has always been local. As we are getting older and plan to do some traveling in the future, I thought we should consider AAA. My only concern was that there was no mention of the dues after the first year. Sounds like it will be a good investment. Thanks again for your thoughts. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration