Please help I.D. early cast fan drive pulley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Please help I.D. early cast fan drive pulley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:36 am:

T # 602 Early crankshaft pulley cast not stamped
also has 4 and A and B1 stamped into casting, has more holes than the one in Gail's book
thank you if anyone has information, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

Canadian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Year, my Canadian 15 did not have this pulley ? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Bob, my Canadian 15 had the smaller pressed steel pulley. The cast type shown are common on our later Canadian cars with the blunt snout pan and generators. Is it larger than the early type?
We do not have the larger pulleys in pressed steel like US cars.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Thank you, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Earliest drawing for this pulley that I ever found at HFM showed it to be ordinary steel much like the most common ones we normally find on T's before they had the larger pulley. I think I remember that the cast pulley was in fact used later as an idea that didn't pan out. I could be wrong on that but they were NOT an early item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Robert, Alan & John

As said, this is a typical crank pulley used on Canadian cars from c1920. Started about the same time the Generator / starter system came out.

The last of the 1927s used the USA pressed steel type as seen in Australian cars. I presume this was a Canadian change.

The "A" in a circle appeared on a lot of the Canadian castings in late 1925, possibly for the 26 models.

I often wondered if the "A" in circle, designated "Australia" as were the first 26-27 USA bodies were code named "Australian".

Budd built prototypes of these bodies as early as June-July 1925 for at least Roadster, Touring & Sedan. Maybe they were hand built as a tender to Ford but the photos do exist. They had USA steel body frames so obviously were not for Ford Australian, that used timber body frames.

Maybe Budd made the sheet metal for the die manufactures for the huge press at Ford

Here are some of the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

The back of the previous pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration