Gas flow issue.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas flow issue.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

I have an issue with my gas flow. First, my T felt like it was starving for fuel, so I replaced the original steel gas shutoff , with the glass bulb type, photo attached. My issue now is, the glass bulb will not fill or very slowly. Once I take the glass bulb off, the gas flows very fast?
What is my problem?
George
Ps, the tank was repaired and lined by a very good shop, who does most of this type of repairs in the area. I do not see any liner in the gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

That is normal, there is nowhere for the air to go, start it and watch the bowl it will flow well and stay full.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

also make sure your gas cap is vented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

What size line are you using? That looks like 3/16" tubing from here. Isn't stock size 1/4" I believe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

The cap is vented and I micked the gas line and it is 1/4 in.
I will refill the tank and try to start it.

Thanks

George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

I see no filter element and you did not speak to that. Be sure there is no filter, sintered bronze or otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

No filter and just put about four gals of gas back in the tank. Now I have no flow. .?

I'm going to take off the glass bow shutoff and put the old one back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

George are you saying that even if you take the glass bowl out you have no fuel coming out of the filter? If that's the case there's only a couple possibilities 1- the filter or the orifice to the filter is plugged up 2- somehow a vacuum has been created keeping the fuel from flowing.
You said that the cap is vented and clear. So #2 seems to be out which leaves 1. By any chance have you checked the shutoff valve to see if it is operating correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

George, I would keep the setup you have now, but two things come to mind. One, Take the line off at the carb and see if it will fill and flow fuel that way.

Two, make sure that style shut off valve is open all the way.

To me, I agree with John above, there are not alot of things that it can be, especially on a cowl tank improved model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

I have used that type of sediment bowl and mine had a nylon screen. Remove the glass bowl, look feel above the bowl's position for the strainer.

Probably not your problem though. Strainer catches solids that come in through the inlet, allows the liquid to go into the bowl, then the liquid is delivered to the outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

George, my 26 touring has a set-up very similar to yours, difference being I use a neoprene hose from the sediment bowl to carburetor. Have had no problem.

I suspect you have air trapped between the outlet of the bowl and the carb. I would try this. Take the line loose at the carb and with the shut-off valve open try to build a little pressure in the gas tank. If you can push all the air out of the delivery system and connect it back up the flow should improve.

One way to pressurize your tank without over doing it would be to bleed your compressor down to very low pressure, something less than 5 psi, perhaps. Stick your blowgun in the filler neck bundled up in a wad of rags and hit the trigger for a few seconds. I think that might clear it out. Good luck. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

What does the wingnut thingy on the side of the sediment bowl do? Is it a drain or does it work a valve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Torns the gas on Tim. Just like the old tractors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

Obvious follow up question: is it open?

Sounds like a dumb one but the drain on the bottom of my air compressor tank looks almost exactly the same and the instinct might be to make sure it's screwed down good and tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

I see your problem, I think.

The shutoff/bowl assembly is too high. It looks like the highest part of the incoming pipe is above the level of the gas in the tank. Of course it depends on how much gas is in the tank, but you indicated you only have a few gallons.

If the pipe shown in the picture runs all the way from the tank to the parts shown in the picture, you can solve the issue by replacing the vertical pipe with one about 4 or 5 inches shorter - whatever it takes to get the assembly as low as it can go and still give you room to loosen the nut on the bottom to remove the glass bowl and dump out what it has caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Voller (Aitkin MN) on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

not sure but it looks to me that the sediment bowl is mounted to high, it should me mounted below the bottom of the fuel tank. there is no way water would be trapped that high, it would seek the lowest spot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Have you checked to make sure the vent on your carb is open to let the air you are displacing with fuel out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 03:34 am:

Guys, I'm thinking this is a 26-27 model and the elbow in the picture is in line with the bottom of the cowl mounted tank. Not sure what the other vertical "pipe" looking thing is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:30 am:

Ok I guess I'm losing my mine. 1st this looks to be a 26/7 cowl with fuel tank so the location of the filter is correct, the other pipe appears to be a drain for the over flow at the top of the tank on the 26/7 tank. I see where the fuel should go in but not where the fuel line to the carb is coming out. It appears there is a bolt or something in the outlet to hold a heat shield I suppose. I've not used this type filter on a T so I'm probably wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:40 am:

THe outlet on the glass sediment bowl is inline with and opposite the shutoff valve. It appears the fuel line goes through the heat shield and wraps down below to the carb inlet. A couple things come to mind about why the fuel is barely trickling to fill the glass bowl. If he bowl on the carb is full of fuel, the needle is closed and fuel won't flow to fill the sediment bowl. Also, it also appears there might be a couple tight turns in the fuel line to get it to line up with the carb inlet. I'd make sure there weren't any kinks in that line that might block flow. If it were me, I'd give the sediment bowl another quarter turn so the shutoff is facing forward and you have a more direct route for the fuel line to get to the carb inlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Looks like the fuel line is too small and if it does go through the metal shield, it is probably getting too hot being that close to the manifold. I would get rid of the whole arrangement, and go back to the Ford valve and line. If you still want to shield the line, split some tubing and wrap it. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Good thinking Tim.Why make things so complicated when the standard set up works well?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

After looking at the arrangement you have I think the best thing to do would be to put it back in the original configuration. Unless the engine and body has been altered from its original location the original set up will work OK.

Something simple is causing your gas flow problem. When its solved you should have good gas flow with either way you have it arranged. And it is a simpler set up the way Ford had it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Suggest taking the line off at the sediment bulb that goes to the carb and check flow. Could it be that the line to the carb should be where you have the brass fittings holding it on to the heat shield?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration