Rear Seat Tack Rail

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Seat Tack Rail
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Is the rear seat tack rail one piece that goes all the way around?

Or is it in 3 sections?

Here's the back seat of my 24 Touring. It's missing the tack rail and probably some other wood. If anyone has a photo that shows all of this wood, I'd appreciate it if you'd post it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

two each side one in the back. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Thank you Charley...so that existing one in my photo can stay I guess.

Is the front seat tack rail one big piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

no 3 on each side one in the back. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

p.s. the one in the back is not org. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Thanks Charley.

It'll all be covered up, so I'm asking more about fit and function than originality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

i have wooded about 300 bodies. square tube will function but!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

This may hinder or help. I have two different wood applications. I am working on a 1915 touring and the smaller bent pieces fit the back of the front seat. They sandwich between the metal seat back. The back seat I believe is the same. I acquired a rear section believing it was for the 15 however it was not, I replaced the old wood on anticipation it was the correct assembly. It may be possible that your wood is the same as the assembly I have? I plan on removing the wood and replacing it with the correct approximately 1" square sandwiched between the back seat metal.

The early models consist of 4 individual pieces sandwiched, two on the left side and two on the right side. The later model (that may be the same as yours) consists of 5 separate pieces. There is one wide piece across the back (yours does not look correct) and two side pieces attached to each side. There have been several wood changes throughout the years plus at least four different suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

A tack strip, composed of two or four pieces (depending on the year) of steam bent 5/8" square wood strips, was used only on early (pre-'22) type bodies in which the tops and sides of the seat panels are folded over 90 degrees. Later bodies with panels NOT folded at the top edges used a belt rail, made up of 5 pieces of straight and curved wood about 3" wide.

The photo is from Vol. 22 Number 6 of The Vintage Ford. It's a roadster body, but it should give you the basic idea of what the belt rail looks like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Below are two pics of the wood tack rail around the back seat top of my 1923 Touring. I believe this may be original wood. This may give you some input on your issue/question.

Tack rail

Tack rail 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

eric! not org but close. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Thank you for the photos...they're a big help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration