Accessory bulb horn question;

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Accessory bulb horn question;
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

I found this horn today in a cardboard tube that I forgot I had. It is about 3 feet long and has an alligator head on the front with a tongue that wiggles when you honk it. It is brass and LOUD. The kids remember that they took it to school for some play and honked it.

I don't remember what they are called and might post it for sale as I am not going to use it. It may be NOS as the bulb is really good and all the brass is really nice. Anyone know what this thing is?

Thanks,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Tim

Those are known as "Dragon" horns, were sometimes found on pre teen autos, mostly found on India carriages. Some are old, some are still made new today.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-copper-brass-dragon-bulb-horn-ric kshaw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Thanks Dan, I have had this one for about 20 years. I can't open the link to see the price. It is a silly piece that looks nice and works well, just don't know what to do with it. Today I chased grandchildren around honking it.

Any idea what this stupid thing is worth?

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Sorta cool looking.... different I should say. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

The straight ones are from India and very crude. They're not rare and I wouldn't consider them to be antique. They are probably still being made, just like bombay taxi horns. They show up on eBay on a regular basis and go from anywhere from $30 to $125.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Tim-
I used one of those when I made my son's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang pedal car. I used the snake head along with a Harbor Freight bulb horn.

Yes, of all my bulb horns, it is the loudest and has the best sound!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Also often called "snake horns". Value depends on actual age and style.
Just a couple days ago, I saw an original era photo with one on a car. May have been AACA or Oldmotor. They were not really common back in the day, but around enough to be spotted occasionally. And I have seen several original era horns.
Telling some good originals from more recent remakes can be tough (don't ask me! Sometimes I can tell them apart). I saw one beautiful original horn once, sell for over $1000. I have also seen more recent India horns sell for about $50.

I may need to spend a little time tonight recovering my steps the past few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

take a look on Ebay and you'll find dozens of these. They are made in Taiwan/India novelty items They are sorta patterned after the English made Boa Constrictor Horns that came with either a snakes head, or different sized/shaped oval bell-shaped openings. A hallmark of them was the long tapering flexible tube between the bulb and the end. Originals were heavy, high quality pieces with a name plate that clearly identified it, where it was made and had a serial number on it. Later high quality reproductions were sold by some of the vintage auto accessory companies and may still be available. Even these are very expensive high quality pieces. Once you've seen the real thing you'll quickly be able to spot the tinny brass fakes. You'll see asking prices all over the roadmap on ebay but as a novelty item around twenty bucks is quite realistic.
Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration