2 Headlight questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 2 Headlight questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

When I turn on my headlights, the engine sputters and runs rough, regardless if it's on the magneto or battery.

The drivers side headlight does not work, the bulb is good as is the thimble connector. I've replaced the wiring and the drivers side has been grounded to the frame.

I have cleaned and checked all connections and wires, but I'm stumped.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

I think I'd be looking the switch over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:25 am:

The switch is good. I will put a full charge on battery and see if that helps the battery part of my question. The magneto connection has also been checked and cleaned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:41 am:

If it does the same on mag as on battery, it almost has to be "downstream" from both. I'd check to see if there's a bare spot on one of the wires rubbing somewhere causing it to short out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

Unless it is mis-wired, there is NO way that it should do this on both mag and battery. Recheck everything! Something is cross-wired or shorted.
If it pulled the engine down on only one power source, I would suspect a short in the bulb or socket of the lamp not working. By the way, I have seen bulbs that were shorted inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Have you tried to put any type of amp meter on that line? I don't know if the type you clamp around the wire will work on 6 V. You could also disconnect the power source then see if the wire is grounded with a multimeter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Seems like switch related. Is the switch original?

Could be worn so that when you turn the lamp lever, to Dim or Bright, the center key cylinder, when on Bat or Mag, turns just enough to make poor contact and may cause the symptoms.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration