How do you replace throttle spark advance rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do you replace throttle spark advance rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

I am trying to rebuild and repaint my steering column but I don't know how to remove the rods from the brass gear case.
Does the lower part of the gear case separate from the top?
It doesn't look like it comes apart but ford got the rods in there some how

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 12:14 am:

To get the rods out you have to remove the gear case from the column. That means grind the heads off the two rivets and drive them out. And yes, the cover unscrews from the gear case. That's how you put grease in there. You have to remove the little set screw to turn the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:49 am:

Mark, it is a beast of a job, one which I will only undertake if I am restoring a steering column back to original with new nickel plating on the rods and gearcase. Unless that is where you want to go, it will be far less work to leave it assembled.

To get the rods out, you must first remove the control arms for the throttle and advance levers. They are pinned to the rods and you may have to drill the pins out.

Then, as Steve said, the two brass rivets through the column and the gearcase have to be removed. Replacing these is a job in itself. Once the gearcase and rod assembly is removed, to separate the rods from the case requires bending tabs on the gearcase, and these often break off. Then you can finish them as you please.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Mark, what year is your car? If you have the earlier two piece gearcase that was used from 1909 to 1914 you will either have to carefully cut the sides of the lower case and spread it open to get the rods out or remove the rivets that hold the case together, separate the two halves, and slip the rods out. Then when you reassemble everything you'll have to rivet the two pieces back together. Either way it would be best to leave everything together unless it is absolutely necessary to take the rods out. The later one piece case is already split and the fingers that hold the rods just need to be spread enough slip the rods out.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/621588.html?1457033730

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/324222.html?1353893998

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:56 am:

When you grind off the rivet heads, do it from the bottom so you don't mess up the top. I had to re-contour the new rivet heads to match the old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:20 am:

One of the control rods broke through the pin hole so it's shorter. It was Redrilled
Higher on the rod, I'm not sure if it was used that way. Both rods need to be replaced
Thank you for the responses

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Mark, The job is a bit tedious, but very rewarding. The most difficult part will be removing the pitman arm so you can pull the steering shaft upward enough to get the steering gear out of the column once the rivets, pins and springs and control arms are removed. ( those are new brass rods, not nickel as they appear in the photo)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

I have the steering column apart except for the control rods from the brass case. The brass is split on the sides but I can't imagine that if you split them apart that they won't break off.
I think the gear case is brass plated but the bottom is cast brass. The bottom of the gear case is not in very good shape, it is pretty worn, I may look for a better unit, but I will probably still have the same problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

I will try prying the sides apart, if they break off I can TIG welding the brass back on or build it up enough to hold the rods in.
Thank you for all of the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Anneal the brass where the splits are and pry apart carefully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Exactly what Steve Tomaso said...I'll only add that you keep annealing after every small bend while making the slot big enough for the rod to pop out. The brass will work harden very fast and I've found that just once is rarely enough

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:45 am:

The rods are held in place by the steering column, so I'd say annealing to be able to bend open and close the brass tabs isn't really needed, just cut open as little as needed to get them out, then put them back - as soon as they're inside the column again - especially when the springs that hold them down in tension are back, they won't get out of position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 05:38 am:

What Roger said.I've done two like that and they worked just fine :-) JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

I got them out, a lot easier than i thought it would be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Ozbolt on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Hi Steve. This is Phil Ozbolt. I have lost your new phone number. Can you call me or send back a message with the new number? How's the new house?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration