Drain holes in 1923 steel windshield frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Drain holes in 1923 steel windshield frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Am working on the rusty bottom half of my 1923 steel windshield. Wish I had a better example but I suspect that they all rust on the bottom section ... and I can't afford a new one.

So I'm taking off as much surface rust as I can and then using a rust reformer spray. Then I'm filling in the pitting with a metal filler and surfacing to get to a smooth finish.

There are two small holes on the bottom on each end. These go up through the frame and I'm assuming they were meant for drainage of water. When I shake the frame I can hear loose rust inside the tubing .. so I made the holes slightly larger and am fishing out as much of that scale as possible. Once I get rid of the loose stuff and dry the interior with alcohol I was thinking I should work some rust reformer in there as well.

Anyone else have experience in resurrecting (hmm ... Easter reference) a rusty windshield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Same thing on a rough 27 roadster windshield frame bottom I kept for a spare I drilled 3 holes on the bottom after soaking it in a electrolysis vat. It's just a spare but it could be used in a pinch. Doubt I will every use it but I just couldn't through it away. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:57 am:

So I guess those holes are meant to drain rain water... or vent moisture from the lower windshield tubing down around the bracket that holds the lower windshield frame to the body. Would it hurt to make them bigger? I think they were originally around 1/8." I was thinking of going to 1/4 or 3/8"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:12 am:

The lower frame on my 24 Touring had some small rust holes and had a ton of rust flakes that I could shake around inside the frame.

I made the holes a bit bigger with a drill bit and tilted the frame back and forth until they all fell out, then I poured Ospho (phosphoric acid) in the holes and sloshed that around...then let it dry for a few days. (This was all done with no glass in the frame)

The phosphoric acid reacts with the rust to make iron phosphate which coats the remaining metal and makes it rust resistant.

Then I wiped the whole thing down with the same Penetrol treatment that I've given the rest of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

I think I would pour something like POR-15 in there to seal the rust and capture the loose pieces too.
Not much else you can do about that I know of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I feel so lucky! When I was building my '25 p/u, I found a perfect original. I hear you guys on lower windshield frames though, I've had the same experience on my earlier cars.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration