2017 St. Louis Forest Park Easter Show Pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 2017 St. Louis Forest Park Easter Show Pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

I was surprised at the large number of cars in attendance this year, considering that the weather forecast was for thunderstorms. Luckily, there was a long enough break in the rain to allow for a good show. Notable attendees were a vintage Rolls Royce, a Cunningham, a Pierce Arrow, several Packards, a Kaiser Darrin, and the Chrysler turbine car from the St. Louis Museum of Transport.

All of my pictures are in an album on my Facebook page, but here are some teasers of a 1925 Gardner and a Moon Touring Car.

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Here are some pictures of a brass era Dorris (sorry, I didn't get the year).

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Mark, I believe the Dorris touring car was a 1909.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Thanks for posting the pics. I really like that Dorris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Thanks Stephen, I added the year of the Dorris to my Facebook album descriptions for the car.

Here are pics of the Pierce Arrow and the Cunningham.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

I believe the Dorris is owned by a relative of the actual Dorris family. He also takes care of the Dorris registry. Sorry can't think of his name.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Steven Thum can probably give a more precise answer, but I believe that the Dorris cars that are shown in car shows here locally are owned by George Dorris, the grandson of the George Dorris who started the company. There are other members of the Dorris family who show cars as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

There a 3 generations of George Dorris's alive today. Grandpa George owns the cars right now but the family participates in showing them as they know they will inherit them.

At least that is my understanding when I talked to Grandpa two years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Steven, isn't the George you are referring to as Grandpa the grandson of the company founder, also George?

By the way, every time I drive to the Lodge family plot at Oak Grove Cemetery, the first large stone I see when I drive through the gate reads DORRIS. It includes original patriarch George, his wife, and their son George (as I recall).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

I was talking to one of the Moon owners and mentioned that it was too bad that someone didn't bring a Ruxton to the show - he said that a friend of his had one and had planned to bring it, but the rainy weather kept him and the car safe at home.

For those not familiar with the connection between Moon and Ruxton, when Moon fell on hard times in the late 1920's, a gentleman (scoundrel?) named Archie Andrews, introduced himself with a plan to have Moon (and another firm) build his front wheel drive Ruxton. Through various stock manipulations, Andrews managed to gain control of Moon, much to the dismay of the prior management, who locked themselves inside the factory and refused to leave. Andrews summoned law enforcment, which forced the prior owners off the premesis. After Ruxton went belly-up, lawsuits followed, which were not fully resolved until the 1960's.

The above is a short summary of a much more convoluted story, check it out on Wikipedia, or in the book "The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942". :-)

Here is a picture of a Ruxton from the internet:

ruxton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Yes, the Dorris belongs to George Dorris. It runs as well as it looks. We've been on several tours together, most recently the HCCA Convention in OKC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Beautiful cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

Dick, Grandpa is the grandson of the company founder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 08:15 am:

Thanks for the pictures. Always interesting to see the other less known makes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

The other firm that got swept up in Archie Andrew's Ruxton plan was Kissel, they were contracted to supply the transmissions. When Archie Andrews started his maneuvers to take over Kissel, the owners headed him off at the pass and petitioned for receivership. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Thanks for posting, I think I could find room in my garage for any one of those cars for long term storage!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration