Driving in low gear?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Driving in low gear?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

I have been driving my new 23 Touring this weekend and have a few questions. I seem to be picking it up pretty quickly however I am not sure about how long it's ok to drive in low gear. I live on a hill that is fairly steep and is about a third of a mile to the bottom where it flattens out. I have been driving all the way to the bottom of the hill in low gear, and then on the way back up, I get a running head start and can make it a short distance before I have to hit low gear for the rest of the hill. As long as I am pushing hard on the pedal so the band isn't slipping, is it ok to drive that long in low gear? I don't know what else to do...

I have put about 30 miles on it the last few days running around the dirt roads where I live. It's been a blast but I don't want to be driving it incorrectly and be too hard on it inadvertently. Thanks for any info.
(took my mother-in-law for an Easter ride today)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Michael, as long as you don't slip the band and the engine does not overheat you are fine driving in low gear.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Love the car....IF I get another T it'll be a 23 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Doing great Michael! Think of it this way. In the Model T's heyday life was slower moving and so was the Model T. AS long as you don't slip the clutch you're OK.

A good running average speed was around 30 mph.
Braking is a little different also. But you've figured that out already!
Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

I think you're doing fine just don't over rev. They are tough little machines. I'm glad your having fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Thanks guys for the info. It's been a ton of fun so far. I am trying to drive it as much as I can so that I can start to build up some trust in it. I'm trying to get used to all the noises so I know what is normal and what is new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Great to see, Michael !! Ts run best on dirt roads, go for it ! New noises are "normal" too ! You'll recognize any bad noise straight away. Your pix and post made my day !! Happy Easter !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Michael
All good. Perhaps put a Ruckstell on your Christmas wish list as a project for next winter. If you live in hilly country, certainly worth considering. A cheaper option is changing the pinion to a 10 tooth one to have 4-1 gears.
In the meantime, have fun and learn about your car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

We have only driven our War Wagon in the neighborhood since we got it running. All low gear. Maybe 10 miles or 20 miles all totaled up ins short 10 min runs daily to keep everything moving. About a week ago, we lost low gear and made it home in reverse. Adjusted the low gear band and all is good.
So you may loosen or wear out the low band quicker driving in low a lot. Just be prepared to adjust the band and keep going.

Aint' they fun? Every drive is a parade and every stop is a car show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Driving in Low doesn't wear the band. Slipping the bands is what wears them. Engage them quickly and hold them down firmly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Every Drive is a parade and every stop is a car show.... You hit the nail on the head with that one! I have never seen so many people waive, smile and point at a car in my entire life. People LOVE to see this thing purring down the road. It makes it so much fun to drive seeing everyone's reaction to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

To add to Less suggestion, if you add a Ruxtell or a Warford auxiliary gearbox (cost is similar) you should add accessory brakes. In fact, driving family around I'd still go for the auxiliary brakes. You can find discussions of AC, Rocky Mountain, and Sure Stop disk brakes all over this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

I drive in my neighborhood a lot in low with no issues. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Though I live in pretty flat territory I eventually added Ruckstell to my 19 Touring so I could cruise at lower speeds without having to have my foot on the low gear pedal all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Hal nailed it. Especially with Kevlar linings, tromp down on the low or reverse pedal as fast as you can without stalling the engine, and hold it down tight. It's letting the drum slip that causes wear and eventually damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Keeping the pedal down tight enough to keep the band from slipping is good, but it is possible to bend the pedals from pushing too hard, so no need to overdo it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Back in the day, with only dirt roads, many Model Ts never got into high gear ever and they survived.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration