Headlight stalk thread repair?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Headlight stalk thread repair?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

My headlight stalk threads are stripped good. See picture. It seems to originally be a 1/2 inch 16 pitch thread originally? I have a die set but do not have a 1/2 inch 16. I am not sure what size to use or what to do at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Picture:

stripped headlight stalk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I believe the size is 1/2 x 20, same as the earlier gas headlamp forks. From the looks of the area where the threads used to be, you could build up the shank by welding, then file it down and re-thread, but I think the easiest repair would be to cut the damaged part off completely and weld in a new threaded section from a bolt or threaded rod. Be sure to Vee both sections of the cut so you can get a good fill with your weld.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:10 am:

Maybe you can file it smooth, rethread it 7/16-20" and use the smaller nut with a washer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:48 am:

I second Roger's recommendation - file to the next size down and cut threads for a smaller nut. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Yes, -20 is correct. But it's toast. You won't fix it by just running a dye over it. I agree with R.V. if you're set up for welding. If not, it may be less costly to get a replacement. For a 1924 it should be relatively easy to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:10 am:

I might have some stems with out the bucket that you can replace, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:16 am:

A decent headlight bucket is pretty easy to find. If your not in a big hurry look at Ebay, The MFTCA classifieds and the Fordbarn. They are on there from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Clean up and re thread to 7/16, lot less work then the other suggestions. Very, very few people will know the difference. Oh, you might want to add a washer sized just a little bit bigger then the nut.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration