Men in an early garage scene-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Men in an early garage scene-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

I goofed up and put this in a classified ad by mistake awhile ago. So I am putting it here too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

I'd guess it was a Mitchell dealership. The three on the left look like new cars, except for that flat tire....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

what is the curved bar?/tube? on top of each headlight? 2nd auto on left

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

They're just bail handles that are part of brass headlamps and a carryover from carriage lamp design.

It this particular case, they're just decorative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

mostly decorative, but as a guard they would keep you from leaning against a hot chimney too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

There is more to the bail than a carry over. If you look closely there are 2 round pieces sticking down at 4 and 8 o'clock. These served as feet when the lamp was removed to be used as a trouble light.
The light rested on the rear and the 2 feet at the front, these feet steadied the lamp.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:13 am:

Those aren't self generating lamps, and even if the rubber gas lines were many feet long, they would make lousy trouble lamps. (I see one of the hoses - third car from the left, headlamp on the right.)

If those are legs, I don't know where you could actually set the lamp except on the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:12 am:

You can also tell which guys do the work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Actually, they were used as "trouble" lights. At least this Ford was pressed into service in 1908. With good reflectors these lights give off good light, at least compared with the alternatives in the day:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:06 am:

I've seen acetylene lights in action on many occasions and I'm aware that they give off very good, bright light and people do improvise in dire situations.

As I wrote and as indicated in the article, you would need many feet of tubing to plumb one to the generator to use it as a trouble lamp. I doubt folks were carrying extra tubing in their tool boxes for the purpose of using a headlight as a trouble lamp.

I still think they would not be very practical trouble lamps even with "legs" on the bottom because you would need a very stable place to set them (mainly on the ground) while working on a car. If you set one on the fender or running board in order to light up the engine compartment, for example, it would probably be pretty precarious.

Just my opinion - neither here nor there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Looks like the Ford in Rob's picture is using a Prest-O-Lite tank.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration