New freeze plug leaking what to use?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New freeze plug leaking what to use?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

My new freeze plug is leaking. Will Permatex #2 work okay to seal it or is there something else better?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG87.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I put the 15 cent fix on mine last fall. Was easy and a good conversation piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

I don't know if permatex on the outside will seal it sufficiently. We did the buffalo nickle thing a few weeks ago, but also put the permatex in around the nickles before smashing them. Our rear one still leaked a little and it took another smash or two, but sealed up tight.

Don't know if you can pry out the new plug and then seal it and then re smash it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I used red permatex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

You didn't say if your "new" freeze plug is steel or brass, but I bet it's steel. I put steel plugs in my engine and one failed within a few months. I replaced them all with brass and now several years later no problems.

Just my experience, but I didn't use any goop at all. I thoroughly cleaned the holes and the plugs and gently tapped them into place being sure they were well seated. No goop, no leaks. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

It is new brass. It is the rear one that is leaking. It was crudded up pretty bad when we took the old one out and had to Dremel the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 02:28 am:

The Best is Permatex Ultra Black RTV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Agree with Gene. Drain block down, clean/dry it off with good ol' Lacquer thinner, seal 'er up with Ultra Black. Working on my '20! And BTW...I was nicely reminded they're NOT freeze plugs!! So far I'm actually remembering...LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Gene is correct. I used Permatex #2 and found that it did not do well in hot water. Two of the plugs developed leaks. So when I installed the next 15 I used Ultra Black. So far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:00 am:

I think the keyword here is Dremel. You may have messed up the hole. Tap it for the threaded plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Dremel covers a lot of territory. If the tool used with it was a dye cutter, it may indeed have done enough damage to be a problem. One of the grinding stones may have done so, but I would think Ultra Black would be sufficient to seal the plug. If it was a wire brush, I expect it was harmless. That's what I used on mine, and it was no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

If the cleaned-up hole is now too big for one of the vendor plugs to fit tightly, go to a REAL auto parts store and search their bins for a slightly bigger diameter plug. They come in a dizzying variety of sizes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration