Odd head lights military?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Odd head lights military?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I have had the weird head lights sitting on the shelf for a while. Does anyone know what they could be for? They have traces of drab green paint on them so I was kind of wondering if they were military. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Never seen anything like those. To my mind the only thing that these would be useful for is engine repairs at night, nothing else makes sense for the direction those back lights face towards. Would these be two righthand versions?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

I should have written Lefthand versions.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

See these threads - the rear light is a trouble light and is removable. Some say originally designed for ambulances and later adapted for Fordson tractors. The patent specifies tractors, not ambulances.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/100198.html?1249103529

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/222521.html?1310346536

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on April 16, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:20 am:

These lamps were made by Victor and were an accessory for the Fordson tractors. If you can read the catalog listing, this lamp was to help the farmer working in the fields at night. The headlight could be adjusted to shine forward, and the smaller lamp was removable and had a 10 foot long cord so it could be used as a trouble light.
They came with an upright bracket as shown. I have seen a few of these lights through the years, but the mounting brackets are always missing. According to the catalog, they had two coats of olive drab baked enamel.
This information is from the McKAY-GRUBB Rubber Co. Minneapolis, Minnesota automotive supplies catalog of 1920-21 season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:24 am:

Thanks For the info! Does anyone have one on a Fordson? Maybe I will have to buy a Fordson to put it on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration