I hit 50 today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I hit 50 today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

That's mph, not age. Coming home from town in the runabout I was on a straight stretch of road with a slight downhill, and opened it up. With the new non-wobbly wheels and fairly stable steering it wasn't terrifying. The engine had more, but I didn't want to push my luck. Even 45 mph is more than I like. I'm comfortable with cruising at 35 mph, and I think the car likes it better too.

An after-dinner evening cruise in the slow lane is perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

I know, I've been up to 53 and still climbing slowly but how to stop. So i don't like to push it past 45 at most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:18 am:

After rebuilding my '26 front end my white knuckle driving days ended. I've had my '26 up to 55.6 mph and it felt solid. I run along about 45 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:45 am:

A solid and tight car makes ALL the difference, along with tight and true wheels. Balancing the tires/wheels will add to the benefits.

A balanced engine and transmission (even just stock) is another smoothing effect along with uniform coil firing.

I relish puttering along rural roads (especially dirt ones) between 25 and 30. Some roads are posted for higher speeds and 35 to 45 may be required because of modern traffic. I don't like to push it much more than that. There have been a few times when my GPS speedometer has showed 55.

Do spend some time eliminating slop and wiggle, you will be ever so pleased with the results. The Ford Motor Company did not sell fifteen million loosey goosey cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 03:19 am:

"Anytime I'm driving a T it's pretty much stock. At about 40 mph I start getting scared. I find 30 to 35 comfortable on a paved road. On dirt roads I like 20 to 30, depending on the condition of the road. I prefer life in the slow lane for two reasons. Slower is safer, and there's less wear and tear on the vehicle. I have no beef with going fast in a speedster that's built for it, but in a stock T I'll go with the T era style of driving." by Steve Jelf, 2013, see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/392653.html?1381316435

From slow-boy to speed freak in just 4 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Just experimenting. Being able to go 50+ doesn't mean I like it as a regular practice. I still prefer slow. So does the car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Steve if you continue to go fast you're going to have to buy a leather helmet and goggles or use your sand blast hood! :-)

Glad to see it's running so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:04 am:

This thread brings to mind about those "balancing beads" some vendors advertise. Do they work or are they a waste of money ??? I know from experience that NITROGEN in my modern truck/trailers tires WORK, I was really reluctant trying that one !!! Nitrogen and balancing beads I think would be a waste of money on our "T"s. Feed back from anyone that's tried either could be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Steve -- Sounds as if your Mike Bender engine is working pretty well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:51 am:

I thought cemeteries have a 5 mph rule

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Hey Steve, what are you using for a speedo ?? I know you had a bicycle speedo on your touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

That's nothing Steve. I had my '22 Fordson up to 70 MPH a few days ago....the engine was rebuilt by Ross Lilleker and the tractor was on a trailer behind my F 250...:o(
I've always wondered why Ford came out with a 3 speed sliding gear transmission in 1917 - on tractors but not on cars until 1928...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Same on the runabout, a Cat Eye Velo 5 bike speedometer. I have a 1915 speedometer I got from Russ, but I haven't put it on the car yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

John - the balancing beads do work. I have loose rust in the beads of my 26/27 wire wheels on my speedster that made conventional balancing not an option. I added about 6 ounces of beads to each wheel and the difference was remarkable. I'm a believer in them. Recently some folks mentioned how to take care of the rust in the beads but I hadn't thought or heard of that back then. Whether beads or weights, balancing the wheels/tires makes a big difference in the ride and feeling of stability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Steve,

That's great that you have you car "sorted" [i.e. all parts working together well] so it has that much reserve. Note, if your speedometer can also display kilometers per hour you can see 72 just by changing the scale. I had an original kilometer per hour speedometer in my Model A Ford once when I was living in West Germany. It was fun seeing 70-75 even though I knew it was really only about 45 mph.

And I agree that a stock T is much happier at the slower speeds -- especially with the two wheel rear brakes and the stock steering. Even as a young kid I could grab the front tire of a T and easily move it full left or right while the car was stopped. (If I would push the Ford out of the garage, Dad would take me for a ride. Looking back on it, I think he wanted to go for a ride also, but he wanted me to burn off some of that energy....) The more modern Fords are not that way (1928 and up). If you hit something, pot hole etc. in the later cars it is very easy to keep the steering wheel from moving left or right. But in a T, it takes a lot more grip to keep the steering wheel from turning if a side force is applied to the front wheel. The good news -- when driving the T the side load is normally only applied near the bottom of the tire and not level with axle which is where I grabbed the tire as a kid. So the force has a much smaller moment arm. But it probably can be a much larger force than a 6 year old kid can generate.

Again, it is always great to hear or see the progress you have made on your T. You are a great ambassador for our hobby! Thank you for the update.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Hey thanks Walt for the feed back. I was beginning to think maybe I was using invisible ink when typing the thread and no one responded. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Balancing beads:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS737US737&io n=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=balancing+beads+mtfca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

I like driving my T s about 35 mph. Crazy thing is I have one model A with every part new that is happy at 35 but I have a old worn down model A. Sedan and It loves to run 50+. Like the T s I just like the slower ride in old cars. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

I would love to see a Steve Jelf speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Thanks Mark, I'm sold on the balancing beads. I have to date 8 Model "T"s and a 31' Model "A" Deluxe Roadster and all have NEW or NEAR NEW tires. The beads will pay for themselves probably 10 times over just in savings of tire wear. Would add this to next winter projects, hoping that health issues get better !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

I hit 36 yesterday with my steering improvements. Changing out the steering pinion gear and the other three gears. Feels like I am going 100 :-). Much less vague and wandering. When I pull the column and change the steering shaft bushing it will get even better.

'Take my license and all that jive, I can't drive fifty-fiiivvve.'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Looks good Steve, love the whites. I have had mine to 40 and my wife informed me she was not fond of that!!! Not quite that nice if you know what I mean. I and the car like about 28 to 32 mph. I like the idea of a Jelf speedster! I put about 40 miles on today with my to do list.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

George, I dont think I want to Steve in a speedo. A speedster may be a different thing. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:32 am:

I was clocked at 52 a couple of times but that was with my org crankshaft.For some reason the car rarely makes 30 now?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 03:42 am:

Hi folks. I have just read this thread and I see Steve has a bike speedo on his model T. Steve would you be able to tell me or show me how you set it up on your car, many thanks Gerry(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:58 am:

The thing I like about going slow, is the scenery, it moves past you at a nice slow clip and you can enjoy it as you roll past...and when driving through the West valley, you get the fragrance of orange blossoms...roll on a little further and it's horses, makes you wish they raised oranges also and not horses. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I've had my '23 Touring up to 38mph and that's fast enough for me. Normally, I cruise below 35mph. "Gracie" seems happiest there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Gerry, enter mtfca: bicycle speedometer in Google. Lots of info with pictures there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Fifty miles-per-hour... wow! _Fastest I've ever gone in my Flivver was forty-two, according to my GPS. _There may have been plenty of throttle left in reserve at that speed, but Steve is at least eight miles-per-hour braver than I.

I work with basically three speeds: Thirty is good for approaching a green traffic light because if it goes yellow at exactly the wrong time (most often the case), I'm able to get the car stopped without a lot of skidding, tire-shrieking histrionics. _Thirty-two mph is where my engine is happiest. _Thirty-five is my redline and beyond that, I feel like safety is being compromised. _That's a pretty small envelope, but it seems to work, at least with this car.

The talking GPS stuck to the windshield with a suction-cup felt just plain wrong, but because of the expense and hassle of installing a genuine, century-old speedometer, I eventually got a GPS speedometer—and it has an old-fashioned analog face and a brass rim that looks more or less at home on the steering column, and most of the time it works, depending on satellite reception.

Somebody once asked me why I installed a speedometer in a car that never needed one before and I answered, "So I'll know how slow I'm going."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Does that have a separate GPS module or antenna that has to be wired for "clear view" of the sky? Those speedos sure have come down in price. I remember looking at a few years ago and they were price-outrageous with few style options. With GPS on a chip now, even my dash cam has GPS. During playback of the files, the software displays a map of your route synced with the video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Stephen,

My GPS speedometer's antenna is a magnetic head that sits discreetly just inboard of my left-front fender.

It's very easy to install, but satellite reception drops off quite often. _That may have something to do with the antenna placement in the metal valley between the hood and fender. _I'd probably have been better off with Lang's aftermarket, mechanical setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

There's where a bike speedometer or an original have the advantage. They don't rely in reception from an outside source.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 12:28 am:

Bob, I love the 'Air bag' in the picture.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration