Battery Box, and Lids

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Battery Box, and Lids
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

I decided to start a new thread, since the old one I posted a week ago has gotten OUT OF HAND!
The reason for the post, was the judging guidelines in the newest edition of them has some mis-information on battery box lids that I wish to correct. The correct photos are in the '23-4 parts books, and the '25-7 parts books, as well as the Benson Ford Archives. I'm adding photos of lids that I have in my possession now. The photo of the round corner lid is 1924 and earlier, and the square corner lid is 1925 and later. The reason for the change was the later style lid is much cheaper to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Now, Larry, if you'd just have some more boxes made, I could use another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:42 am:

Larry, your photo of the later style lid shows one of the corners being split. Are they all like this, or is it supposed to be welded shut?

I can understand the pressing and folding of the later type being easier, but having to then weld up the corners seems contrary to your assertion that the later style would be cheaper to make. The earlier style is just one deeper pressing.

Either way, I can readily understand why they have not survived in large numbers. I had a short circuit at my starter switch, and it was far quicker to bust the cable terminal off at the switch than lift the rear floorboards, undo the battery box lid clamps and the disconnect the battery terminals. That experience has led to the installation of fusible links in the system.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:03 am:

The late style ends are not welded. I have a few NOS lids, and they are all the same. My suggestion is to gently bend the sides until they come together. I'll be making another run of battery boxes soon. This time, I'll have more made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Larry.
I would like to order one of your battery boxes complete for a 1926 T will it be possible to place an order please ?
N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Larry,

What "n maver" said, maybe two boxes, how much were they ??? Can you put my name on the list to make sure I get them ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

That's excellent information Larry. Since probably 99% of T's have these missing, (including mine), it's little known detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Larry, forgive me for not being observant, but I am having a hard time seeing the difference. Is the photo on the left the round corner and the right the square?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Daniel, your observation is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 12:32 am:

I should have the LOWER battery boxes done in about two weeks. I'll let you guys know then. I hope to keep the price the same. I have two on a waiting list now, but won't accept any more. I'll post an ad when the time comes. BTW, the round corners battery box tops are listed from '22-'24. Sorry on the dates. Previous to that they were different, but didn't take any notes on them while at the archives.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration