Safety Floating Hubs with Heavy Duty Brake Drums

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Safety Floating Hubs with Heavy Duty Brake Drums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Hey everyone,

I about to have my rear end rebuilt and it was recommended to put in floating hubs. As I was looking into these, someone pointed out the floating hubs with the heavy duty drums.

I have a 23 high hood (24 style) coupe with the small drums. The HD drums are also small drums and appear to work more like a "traditional" drum in that it is inside the drum and pushes out as opposed to outside and clamping like Rocky Mountains. I "think" they would even work in reverse.

Has anyone had any experience with these yet? I've talked to the suppliers and they said they are relatively new, so they didn't have much experience with them.

The concern I have is that the surface area would only be the internal diameter of 8 inches as opposed to Rocky Mountains that are 11 3/4 inches.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2508SDR.aspx
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/safety-hub-drum-assembly
http://modeltranch.com/show_product.asp?idProduct=69

It seems that you can even get Kevlar lined shoes which seems like they would be able to take a lot of wear before needing to be replaced.

http://modeltranch.com/show_product.asp?idProduct=70

Thanks!
Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

For what you spend on the these you could buy a set of Rocky Mountains. Much easier to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Andrew
They look like a REALLY nice design. Thank you for posting about them. I might try them myself. Imagine, brakes that work in the rain AND in reverse!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

I asked about these two weeks ago:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/740612.html?1490771312

The two questions here are:

Are these HD drums cast iron?

Can you buy JUST the HD small drums (without the floating hubs)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

I like my disk brakes. I can leave the car in high while going down some really steep and long hills. I just ride the brakes all the way down. Works just as well in reverse. A great safety addition, as long as you don't care that they are not period.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

I would spend my money on a large drum (26-27)Ruckstell or if funds are tight a large drum standard rear axle, It will fit nicely on your 24 and you will have a real emergency brake with woven lining and 11 inch drums..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

I think that the issue would be finding a good brake lining, don't think you would get satisfactory life out of the regular lined shoes. Still undersized but looks like a good drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

I'll see if I can get some more information on the make up of them. From the few people I've talked to, it seems like there are a relatively new design so not much is known at the moment.

I'm also wondering if they don't work very well, would it be possible to put Rocky Mountains on these? Obviously it would be more expensive in the long run, but would they even fit? I'm thinking the outer diameter would be too big and have issues without some forceful negotiations.

Constantine - sorry I missed your post before creating this one. I haven't come across just a HD brake drum yet - only with the floating hubs built in.

Neil - everyone that has disc brakes likes them a lot because they do seem to be the best option for stopping. They are on the "being considered" list just like some Rocky Mountains.

Ted - wouldn't there be issues with putting the 26/27 axle on due to different backing plates, wood versus wire wheels, and spring perches? I think I read that from a thread that was posted a few years ago.

John - thanks for the information. Rockies are a maybe.

Les - if you do get a set keep everyone updated and I'll do the same if I get some.

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:42 am:

"wood versus wire wheels"

Andrew -- The big drum rear ends came with either wood or wire wheels. There were big drums with 6 holes for wood wheels, so you wouldn't need to change wheels. As far as the backing plates, perches, etc., are concerned, just use the parts on the big-drum rear end.

Be aware that if you use floating hubs, you'll need to modify (cut off part of) the rear end housings to accommodate them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:04 am:

What's the idea with 1" thick steel at the edge of the drum? Can't see any benefit with more than say 1/4" thickness, it just adds weight?

Cast iron would be a benefit though, better friction properties when hot, but is it?

Maybe someone who phones Lang's or Snyder's for ordering parts can ask them?

sss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Roger, the 1" thick drum gives a 10" drum for the outside brakes. Much more friction area for more effective braking. Greater width would also be beneficial.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 01:19 am:

...but will these 10" drums work with outside brakes?

Are they not too big to work with AC brakes? RM drums are 11-3/4" and 26-7 drums are 11-1/4"...so are they too small for either RM setup?

My guess is these new drums are made to be used with these new shoes (together with an equalizer):

http://modeltranch.com/show_product.asp?idProduct=70

Such a setup would cost more than $1500.

Be good to know if they are cast iron and if drums can be sold (and are usable) without the floating hubs. T ranch makes these I think (compare prices); so best to ring them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration