Lowering a model T with overland spindles??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lowering a model T with overland spindles??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

I have a pretty nice 1920 overland front axle and spindles. If I wanted to put it on my T to lower it how would I go about it? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

You would first remove your Model T front axle. Then you would either attach the Model T front spring to the Overland perches or remove said T front spring and slip the Overland front spring into the T front crossmember. Badda Bing. Badda Boom. Job complete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Daniel,decades ago l adapted what may have been Overland spindles to a T axle.
The spindle bolts were bigger than T,so l made bushings to adapt T spindle bolts to them.Likewise made some washers for top and bottom of spindle to fit T axle yoke.Made tie rod using the end yokes that matched the spindles.
I did not use it,but traded it to someone that did.Last l heard,that car still was driving OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

I guess your axle is probably from an Overland Model 4? If so the spring perches should be the same distance apart, I think I measured 36 1/2" center to center so swapping those would be easiest. The Overland axle is about like the T axle as far as spindle height. The Overland drops down suddenly at the ends where the T drops gradually. The spindles are really where the lowering comes in. The opening is 1/4" more on the T axle. Overland has the 2 pinned washers on top to carry the load and the spindle bolts are 9/16" I believe. Here are the 2 side by side. If you could swap perches that would be easiest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Daniel
Some pictures would help us to help you!!
I believe that some Overlands used quarter elliptical springs
Depending on the spacing of the attachment holes in the axle, a custom length front spring might be the solution. If so, I can possibly guide you to a reputable supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Both axles are the same height where the perches go and they are spaced the same. Overland front hubs fit right in a T wood wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Corey
I would either use the Overland frame, or graft the Overland front suspension to your T frame. It was done during the era and would look really neat!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Les, that's what I'm doing. I like the odd spring set-up. Overland frame inside measurements are the same as the T outside but the channel is turned out. Both flat surfaces mate together. Daniel was asking about just the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 03:16 am:

Thanks for all the replies. My overland axle's spring perch holes are the same width as the T perches are. It looks like it would just fit right in as a direct replacement. My big question is how to put the wheels onto overland spindles? I've got a nice set of round fellow wheels I'm using now, how much would I need to adapt them? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Daniel,

Do you know if the T hubs don't fit the O'land spindles? I'd try it first, but maybe you did already?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

I tried it before. The Overland spindles are too short plus the ID of the inner bearings are larger on the Overland. Overland hubs fit a T wood wheel, but T hubcaps won't fit. I made adapters for Model A wheels since I had a set already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

How close are the overland spindles to model A spindles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

I don't remember but that wouldn't work either because I had Model A hubs and tried it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

I would be interested in buying a set of overland front hubs so that I can try this. I also need the spindle nuts. If anyone has any of this stuff they would be willing to part with my. Umber is 831-278-2742. If it works I'll post pictures of the adaptation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Resurrecting an older thread here…

I just purchased an Overland chassis with the Triplex suspension this past weekend and was wondering if anyone had any luck fitting the Overland parts to your model T? I just like the look of the Overland Triplex system and I think I have enough spare parts to put together a speedster if I can combine the two.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

I bought an Overland frame that somebody had modified and put a 32 Ford rear axle under. I grafted the front to a T frame. I don't know how this will drive but it's just bolted so I could put the T axle back. I used the Overland steering box and coupled it to a T column so the spark and gas would work as original. That's an Overland shell over an aftermarket T radiator. Model A wheels. I just liked the look of the spring set up also. If you don't want to lower it then it's real easy because the Overland frame inside measurement is the same as the outside T frame so it slides right in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 12:19 am:

I am looking for the front section of an Overland frame with springs and axle to complete my 1920's Overland sprint car.

Anyone that has one please let me know.

thnx in advance

brasscarguy@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 02:25 am:

I have a Overland front axel, spindles, hubs,
30x3 1/2 Budd wheels, caps, rear hubs and caps. also several other Budd wheels and caps. Mike Husted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 10:13 am:

It looks like it would be a lot easier to adapt Chevy spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

How much lowering would you get if you used 1926-27 Model T front spindles? Might be easy all the way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorentz K. Lorentzen, Norway on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 02:02 am:

There are original model T spindles that obtain the same drop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Lorentz, I think you're referring to 1925 English drop frame spindles that we have in Scandinavia and England but nonexistent in other continents and shipping is expensive..

dfh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Depending on availability of those drop frame English spindles, shipping would probably not be that much of a factor, to my thinking. To use the other make spindles I'm not sure what modifications have to be made but the price of parts could be up there. For Overland or Chevrolet spindles you can't just open a catalog and order new bushings and bearings like you can for a T. Maybe you can and I don't know where. I don't know about Chevrolet but Overland spindles have bushings, I believe the spindle bolt diameter is 9/16" and there are 2 washers at the top with dimples top and bottom to hold them in place from turning as they support the weight of the car. If you use the Overland axle you're ok. I used the whole front end because I like the spring setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I put Chevy spindles on my speedster. Replaced the bushings with regular T bushings and everything fit fine. Did need to use Chevy steering arms and change the length of the tie rod a bit. Need to take care with Ackerman alignment.

Every little change begets another but this was pretty straight forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

All the "-DF" parts in Rogers chart are the special "Deep Frame" parts from a UK Model T. They lowered the T 3".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Here's a Model T drop front axle with Overland spindles on Craigslist:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/model-ford-speedster-front-end/6374965926.html

The third photo in the ad gives the best view of the spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Sir Ed,, what axle is on your # 4?

Photo is Ed and his wife by the car they drive to tours, including to the Centennial tour from Hayward to Richmond, Indiana

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration