T is for Turkey

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: T is for Turkey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Got new tires on the front, so this afternoon I checked the toe-in and went for a drive to see how it felt. I topped the hill South of my house and saw a bird in the road a ways down the path. I was cruising about 35 as I came down the other side and soon realized it was a Turkey. As I got closer I realized it was a Tom. I figured he'd scoot on across (hopefully toward my place as I plan to hunt this weekend) but he didn't. He started running down the road. So I kept on going with the assumption that he did not want to play "Turkey" with me. When I got to about 20 feet from him and was wondering if I needed to hit the brakes he took flight...straight down the road. For the next hundred yards I was right behind him at a distance of 20 or 30 feet. We were doing 35. I could see his beard dangling beneath his body. Then he left the road and flew off into a neighbors place, giving me "the feather" which I took as meaning he knows I am terrible with a Turkey call.

If ONLY the wife had been along to film it.

For years we had a Turkey here we named "George Washington" because of his age and size. We assumed him to be the founding father of the local flocks. This was not him, but probably a relative.

Perhaps we will meet Saturday...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

A fun read, Steve, I kept expecting to read the turkey decided to stand and fight and you ran into him ! Glad he's still up for the hunt. A few years back, one winter there was a big tom who decided to claim his territory on an S-curve of the county road close by the river. He had a harem of four or five hens, and would stop traffic on the road, spoiling for a fight. Miraculously, he didn't get hit, and eventually they moved off the road into the bottoms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:21 am:

I see turkeys all the time, but usually off in a field. The real road hazard around here is the buzzards. They aren't afraid of cars and will stay in the road eating roadkill until the very last moment. Sometimes they misjudge. And when they do, it doesn't take long for their buddies to forget all about their prior friendship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Rich: we used to have a Peacock in our neighbourhood in south Florida he would come up to the road look both ways then strut out to the middle spread his feathers and wait for his Peahens to cross the road, This was great fun to watch until the police chased a Speeder through our neighbourhood... Peacock feathers were all over the place and somehow the peacock ended up in the police cruisers windshield. I wondered how he explained that. The Peahens were never seen again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:47 am:

Last fall after being out for a drive here is what I found in my back yard, they often come for a visit and spend the afternoon. What surprised me was that the turkeys didn't rush off when I drove down the driveway.

Happy Motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkLjAdLkg9s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:08 am:

We have a fairly large turkey population in our area also. It is not uncommon for us to have a flock of 40 to 50 turkeys in the yard during the colder months. Snapped this photo just the other day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:11 am:

Steve, Whatever you do...DON"T HIT IT!! Those things can make a mess out of windshields and radiators. With a brain the size of a pea, you never know what is going through a turkey's brain, and what they will do. When I see turkeys, i hit the brakes until they clear the area no matter what I'm driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

What you talkin bout? :-)
Turkeys can't fly!
I learned that watching WKRP in Cincinnati on the TV.

Remember the helicopter turkey drop episode?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Nothing better then Wild Turkey and Coke a Cola!

This is Coke delivery truck, I think the driver had to clean his shorts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

extra full choke and number 4 copper plated shot works better I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Seems there has been a rash of vehicle vs Turkey over in Indiana recently. Been on the nightly news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Fred D, I am not really a big fan of most television shows. Although the blanken thing is almost always on at our house (a long sad , disgusting, story in itself).
And I am sure it is partly due to my perverse sense of humor (dark, black humor, maybe part of why I like black model Ts so much?). But THAT episode of WKRP has got to be one of the funniest single sitcom episodes of all time! I wish I had it on tape.
Most of the half hour is set-up, with a beautifully shot climax, followed by an excellently paced recap.

It wasn't a turkey per se. But one of the funniest (and most disgusting) real life stories I ever heard happened to a fellow up the North coast of Califunny (near Laytonville) about fifty years ago. I have told it here before, so will not at this time. But it involved a turkey vulture, an unwilling rabbit, and a car windshield.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:55 am:

Wayne, I hope this is what your looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Todd, do they make good eats? Seriously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Old Tom's with big beards (and old hens, with or without beards) are, in my experience, akin to shoe leather. But a young turkey is good eating.

I should have put "OT" in front of the title for this thread and I do apologize for not having done so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

I had to "slam on the almost brakes" saturday morning for love struck turkey while driving home from breakfast in the RPU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

That is part of it! Thanks Warren H ! I needed a good laugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 02:27 am:

"slam on the almost brakes". Dallas, nice description. :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Marty,

Wild turkey is good eating but like all wild game the meat is not as tender as domestic raised birds. Any wild game that I cook is slow cooked.

But the best Wild Turkey is liquid! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

Dennis, my experience with wild turkey is me feeling tuff the next morning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

I offered a friend of mine some WT 101 a while back. He opted for the Dickel #12 after saying...

"I don't want to fly. I just want to flop around a little bit."

I saw Mr. Tom today with a few friends near the same spot. We will try them in the morning.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration