Fitting clincher tyres

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fitting clincher tyres
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:37 am:

In some posts it is recommended that notches be cut in the beads to clear the valve stem to ease fitting. I can understand why this procedure is suggested. If one side of the tyre is fitted first, any attempt to open the tyre up to fit the valve stem in its hole will pull the already fitted bead back across the valve stem hole. There is a better way.

I use a rim flap cut from a 13" car tube as rim liner.

The tube is inserted into the tyre and inflated just enough to hold its shape.

Even on this old Olympic tyre with its wide beads, there is room to fit the tyre without cutting notches.

I use this clamp to hold BOTH beads in the rim at the same time.

Then the valve stem is captive and the two beads seated. I lever both sides of the tyre on at the same time. Towards the end, the back side may go on first, leaving short section to be levered on at the end.

The curved end of the lever closely follows the rim edge to seat this last bit,with no chance to pinch the tube.

Then it's ready for inflation.

On the road, fitting the tube and valve stem at the bottom, then lowering the car, will act as the clamp for you.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Allan is correct. No notches are needed with his method. The next time I mount some especially difficult clinchers like the ones I recently did, I'll be using irons about twice the length of the Ford irons. More leverage is better (easier).

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on April 18, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Doesn't look like a 30 x 3 though.. Those tire irons are the best! Easiest when the rim is on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Steve, my 4 levers are 16" long Dowidat brand. Three are Australian made, one German. Dowidat is/was a German brand. The cheap knock-offs available these days are much thicker at the curved end and I have seen a number of them with broken off ends. I have a 20" Dowidat in my swap meet stuff. They are long enough for me to tuck one in my armpit while levering with two more. My tyre fitting table is a tiltable draftsman's table which is at standing height.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration