Gas Tank where??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas Tank where??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:27 am:

As I pursue my first Model T Coupe. I have noticed that some GAS TANKS are mounted in the
rear trunk. Was that common? I thought they
were usually underneath the SEAT. Could it be
different from year to year? Thank you in advance.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Hi Paul,

1926 and '27 Model Year coupes have the gas tank in the cowl.

1924 and '25 Model Year coupes have the tank under the seat.

1923 Model Year and earlier coupes, with the "suicide" doors, have the gas tank in the trunk (turtle deck) and that location really can limit what you might try to carry in there.

I hope that this helps. Good luck with your quest, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:57 am:

I believe some of the early suicide door coupes had the tank under the front seat. Also, the ones in the back leave everything else in there reeking of fuel smell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Tim - that was one year only, the padded roof 1917 couplets that had the tank under the front seat just like the convertible Couplets from 1915-16. By September 10, 1917 the tank was moved to the rear, maybe at approximately the same time the top got flatter for 1918?

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc17.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Bill, Tim, Roger ,
Thank you for all the info.
Great bunch of guys here.
Tons of help too.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Paul,

A few additional minor details from Bruce McCalley’s “On-line Encyclopedia” which is located on our site (hey – it’s your site also if you like T’s) with the top page of: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/intro.htm . That is our Model T Ford Club of America web site (same one you are viewing this MTFCA forum on right now.)

Not mentioned yet (or I missed it) they used the standard round tank, then the Sedan square tank in the trunk, then some oval tanks in the trunk were used as an experiment in 1920, and then back to only the square tank, and then finally the cowl tanks. So depending on when (and possibly where?) the car was assembled it would have had a different tank and location. I looked but I did not see a year for your coupe. You may still be looking for one. But if you happen to be the fortunate owner of a 1909-very early 1912 Coupe – they used the standard round gas tank under the seat (with the fuel drain off set outside the frame on the 1909-11 and moved to the center during 1911).

Under “Fuel Tanks” (I initially was looking for Gas Tank….) located at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#ft1 Bruce has:
Same as 1915 type but sediment bulb was now iron. Sedans used “square” tank with sloping top, under driver's seat. The Coupelet used the standard round tank under the seat until about 1918, then the round tank was moved to the rear compartment. Around 1919 the Coupelet tank was replaced with the square sedan tank, but still located in the rear compartment.

1920-1925
Oval-shaped tank replaced round type. Construction was similar to previous tank except for oval cross-section. Two door sedans and coupes continued the square tank, but oval tank was used in a number of coupes in late 1920, apparently as an experiment. All coupes of the 1924-25 style used the oval tank under the seat.

1926-1927
Tank now mounted under the cowl except for the Fordor Sedans in which it remained under the front seat. Trucks continued the oval tank under the seat.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Hap,
Wow you know a ton about Ts.
Great info and thank you so much for helping
a NEWBIE to the Club ( Still looking. haha )
Cheers,
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

One of the neatest model T coupes I ever saw (a long time ago), was a very original 1919 that had a nice after-market gasoline tank mounted below the back of the trunk, in front of the bottom of the spare tire. The tank was a bit larger than the common ten gallon tank common to Ts. The brackets to mount the tank were commercially made and looked very nice. The filler neck was easy to access, and the installation was very professional looking. The car had a Stewart vacuum tank on the firewall, one of the first I ever saw on a model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

If you want to avoid fuel starvation while going up hill, you may want to install your tank on top of the roof. Ford moved the tank higher on the 26/27 to assist with this issue, so maybe a roof mounted tank was on the drawing board.

Seriousely, my 1915 frame was drilled from the factory for a round tank under the front seat. Does this tell me what body style this frame was used for? Or were all frames drilled for the various tank positions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Barclay in west Michigan on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I don't know if it is original or not but my 20 coupe has a oval tank under the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

26-27 have a tank under the dash. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 01:26 am:

The 26-27 frames will still be drilled for the tank under the seat, because the Improved model Fordor still used the tank under the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 02:38 am:

tim eyssen is wrong !
I have put thousands of miles on my 1919 coupe and the only time it smelt like gas was when I forgot to tighten the gas cap all the way . I was bombarded with people asking me questions about the T at the station .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration