Were 13/14 gas headlamps painted glossy or semi-gloss?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Were 13/14 gas headlamps painted glossy or semi-gloss?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

I am restoring the headlamps on my 1913 touring and want them to be correct. Were they painted with gloss black or semi-gloss black from the factory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Sure looks gloss in period photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Thanks Dan... I love that photo. All the effort we go through to make sure our tops are installed "wrinkle free" yet this is how they rolled out of the factory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

James, I painted my gloss with a heat-resistant paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Side note if I may? Are the tags from the assembly departments? Dealer inspection/completion tags?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 02:06 am:

Duey, there appears to be a dealer plate on the firewall under the windscreen, so perhaps they had a system of checks to make sure all tasks were completed.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 04:49 am:

These tags have been discussed in the past here. There are at least three (I think about five?) photos of this one car taken at that time, from different angles showing the tags. I don't think a final determination of all the tags was ever made. Why so many? What were all of them for? Did all Fords at that time have them? And just what years they were used.
Royce also posted copies of the original tag that is still with his 1917 Ford. One interesting thing I recall from his, is that in 1917, according to the tag, his car was called a "torpedo", not a "runabout". It also shows that the tags were used on at least some cars at least as late as 1917. There is considerable evidence that they were used on many cars during the brass era.
Royce's (and other original surviving tags shown by others) tag had several places where information of the car was given, including body manufacturer, whether the body was "finished" (painted and upholstered) by the manufacturer, or some other contractor, car/engine numbers, etc. Earlier brass era cars may also indicate the lamp suppliers.
I thought I had a bookmark for one of the better threads on these tags? But I could not find it. I will try looking again later.
I know where I have the bookmark to several of the photos of this original car. Unfortunately, they were on the MTFCI site, and they shut that part of their site down after it got hacked a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 06:04 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/235316.html?1315923668

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/430791.html?1395206545

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/292494.html?1338259723

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 10:04 am:

I wonder what that plate or decal says in the middle of the firewall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Probably similar to this dealers plate.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration