Can Brass top be placed on nonbrass coil??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can Brass top be placed on nonbrass coil??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

I have accumulated a number of brass tops from T Coils. Can I put them on a non brass T coil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

The short answer is no. The primary core extends out of the box further on a brass top coil. It's probably possible, but it would require totally disassembling the coil and shifting the core up. This is a dirty job and a minor slip of the screwdriver around the secondary, will render it useless. The point studs are most likely too short as well. It's not as easy as it may appear. Personally, it's not worth the effort. I do a lot of coils and I wouldn't do it.
Respectfully,
Brent Mize
The Coil Doctor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Thanks Brent That's what I thought, but had to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

I have done it. Once or twice. Everything Brent M says!
The windings ARE different, and shorter. It took total disassembly of the wood box, and careful modification of the the top wood piece to allow the windings to go high enough to look and work okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Not in my pay grade, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

If it is just for looks,since you won't fool anybody,l made holes so the bridge mounting hardware went down holes in the brass top and sat on top of the coilbox wood.Likewise,cut away where the vibrator mounts.That must have been a long,boring winter when l did that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

If you really want a brass top coil that works, get them at Fun Projects. Send them our old workable coils and get re-manufactured brass top coils.

T-4732 brass top coil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I would need to check but I think the wood part of the box is shorter too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration