Would like to pour my main bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Would like to pour my main bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

I have a spare block that needs the main bearings poured and i am wondering if anyone has used lead to do a practice pour just to get the feel for the yes, no or maybe i can do this? thanks for any input. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Lead is going to pour different than babbitt. If you are wanting to practice I have many pounds of old babbitt that I will not use in a rebuild but would be perfect for practice

You pay the shipping and the babbitt is free

tman1913@sbcglobal.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

?? Just curious, Mike, why would you not use the metal in a rebuild ? I know there's a lot of craft involved in pouring babbitt bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

content is unknown, maybe some lead maybe not, the cost of the good known babbitt is cheap compared to a do over because of saving a few bucks. Short answer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Mike I'm totally in agreement with you. Saving Babbitt from old rods, caps & mains is bad mojo. You just don't know what the content is and it's not worth the savings in dollars as well as in time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

That and all the oil and contaminants that have worked into the Babbitt over the years. All most all metals are porous to one degree or another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

I agree with Mike and the others. Used Babbitt is good for practice or pouring bearings in hit and miss engines. I would never use it in a rebuild of a Model T engine. Every time it is melted the alloy changes. Even with good known babbitt the alloy is changing while you are doing the pour. All that slag or dross you are pushing to the side or skimming off is something in the alloy oxidizing. Lead is not a good practice metal as it does pour differently. It is a different animal to deal with ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 10:08 am:

The changes that the babbitt goes thru is why I was told that you should only melt enough to do the job and start fresh with each job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Mark

I think that is BS. Look at the size of old Babbitt pots some are three pot stations each at 30 to 50 lbs.

Now let the rotating devise start slinging. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

So I guess no one has a large enough load of used babbit laying around that's worth melting down and having tested? What's "good" babbit and where does it come from that you're sure it's usable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Our pot sizes, the tinning pot is a little over 3 Gallon, and the pouring pot is a little over 5 gallon. We could not use any smaller ones.

They are both automatically Temp. controlled. With out them being controlled, we could never pour bearings.

The machine is a bearing spinner.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:59 am:

That great info but not all of us have access to that size pots. Many doing self pores are using way under that size and hopefully has access to a pyrometer(spelling). The subject question here is not on the large scale but is about a single pore job and the pot may be close to full using a single bar of XXX nickle babbitt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

The other possible contaminant is tiny bits of metal, imbedded in old babbitt, from past disasters. You don't want that included in your new bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Funny thing about Babbitt. In a pot. bolts will sink to the bottom of the pot.

All other debris will be at the top to be skimmed off. Wood , plastic, rocks, sand, Iron filings, ect.

There will be nothing in the pot mix besides Babbitt.

Herm.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration