Closed car stamped steel door key

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Closed car stamped steel door key
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

There are three stamped steel door keys on T-bay right now. DF737, DF862 and DF913. These are the cost-reduced Yale keys that have the groove stamped or pressed into shape instead of brass with the machined groove.

Use these search words: antique pressed steel ford key

I spent four days walking around Hershey looking for a DF729 for my '24 coupe. The key vendors thought I was nuts, they never saw one before. They are rare.

Refer to this thread for a discussion on door locks and keys:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/112230.html
-Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

That key cylinder for the lock was used up until 1948 on Ford pickup trucks.

You only have to cut the extension off about 3/4th inch or so to use it in a closed car Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

James,
The truck lock was my plan B if I couldn't find the correct key for my original lock. I believe the pressed steel key was only used in 1924, maybe a little into 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

This is a link to a 2010 Forum thread posted by Dave Sosnoski.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/166069.html?1287195273

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Stinchcomb, Trumbull, CT on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Andrew

I also have a wood framed '24 Coupe that needs a key. I've done the same search through Hershey every year looking for a key for my DF940 lock but nothing yet. I'll keep your DF729 search in mind. I did check my collection for your lock but don't have one.

Most sellers don't know what they are for so I've buying them just to keep them within the T community and not in someones desk drawer or worse, the trash. If I find a key for $15 or less, I'll pick it up and as a result have a small collection of these stamped steel keys. I'm willing to pay more for my DF940 key if it ever turns up but not the other keys for $25+ currently being asked for on T-bay.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:44 am:

That lock can be taken apart and any key that slides in can be configured to use the lock or the lock can be configured to use the key.

No one is going to see the number on the lock when it is installed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration