Does anybody have a problem with points bounceing on their distributor?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anybody have a problem with points bounceing on their distributor?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A, Martinez on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Would like any ideas on my problem with my speedster. When I get rolling down the road at about 40 the engine sounds like it's cutting out.At low speeds runs smooth as glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Ground wire from distributor to block installed? I have found that without an external ground you can have a miss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Mark
What point gap do you have?
Does the distributor shaft bearings have ANY slop?
Is the point cam rough at all? The surface should feel smooth to the touch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

Possible.The only modern T distributor l have experience with is a Bosch from a Beetle.Those points are commonly available.
Make sure your upper bushing has no wear.If it does have some,open up your gap a little.
One of my Model A's was only happy when l put two springs on the points to stiffen them.
But,again,that A roadster had a warmed up,bored out,presicion balanced engine,so l really ran hell out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Sorry to be repetitive.Slowpoke and had interuption.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A, Martinez on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

That's a lot of great info! The top of the distributor does have a loose feel to it. I will check the ground and the point cam. It happened on the last day of the winter tour. ty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A, Martinez on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

P.S. and check the point gap. ty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 12:03 am:

Very important! Make sure you have an external ground wire as Mike Bender posted. My car would miss at times until I added the ground wire. The Texas T parts 009 distributor was loose fitting where the distributor rotated (Advance/Retard) and did not provide a good ground connection. The added ground wire is a simple fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:03 am:

I was helping to time an older Ford 401 Workmaster tractor that missed really bad at higher RPMs. Turns out that the spring clip retainer that holds the rotor to the shaft was missing. The rotor was wobbling around at higher RPMs, changing the timing because of the loose fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Also check that the coil is wired properly, wire to points on negative side of coil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration