Front spring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Front spring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

I am restoring a homemade tractor and the front axle was shortened. The front spring is a mess. Considering the VERY limited use this vehicle will receive, can I cut a leaf spring with the eyes in it, shorten it, and weld it back together? The spring is pretty much just filler between the axle and the frame on this anyway. Let me know what you think. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

Tom,

Should be o.k. I had a reverse eye spring on my speedster that was broken in the center. Had it welded together and used it for many years. Removed it for other reasons. The weld still looked good as new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Tom, do it anyway, and tell us how it all went some years down the track. It never ceases to amaze me how some period repairs stand up.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Thanks Jerry and Allan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Springs can be welded. Having said that having a spring welded correctly is difficult compared to having one just welded which is easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

If you can find this type of accessory spring clamp, there would be very little stress at a weld in the middle of a main leaf. (The other leafs can of course be cut at the ends to fit)

yyyyy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 04:59 am:

I have welded leaf springs in a past life, some for semi truck trailers. At one time, back in the '60's-'70's there were several companies that made several types of welding rods for many types of hard to weld metals. They mostly were developed for NASA for the space race. I haven't looked for any of them for several years, but they were very good. Do some research and I'm sure you can find something that will work very well. Cut it in the center where the clamp will be and it will most likely be just fine. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Lots of good advice Thanks to all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:47 am:

Any tips on welding a spring correctly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Use the same steel and harden and temper after.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration