Best Model T article ever written!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Best Model T article ever written!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

E B White wrote this in The New Yorker magazine in 1936----Worth rereading in case you missed it in one of our earlier FORUMS!

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1936/05/16/farewell-my-lovely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

I've read that essay many times and it always gives me a chuckle. Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Now i see more Model T's than i do Sears and Roebuck catalogs! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

That's pretty good! Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

L-O-V-E IT !!! For those of us to young to remember the heyday of the "T" must rely on the memories of our elders, or the encyclopedic knowledge of the members of this club....Thank you Paul, and the multitudes of others who share with those of us who are so anxious to learn. You folks are the greatest !! I would not have the courage to take on my modest restoration without the terrific folks here and especially the members of our local chapter THANK YOU ALL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Never read it. Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

A few years ago my wife gave me a small book (34 pages) as a gift by E.B.White titled "Farewell to Model T - From Sea to Shining Sea". It included the above mentioned story from the New Yorker magazine and also the short story From Sea to Shining Sea. It was published by The Little Bookroom (212-293-1643) in 2003 if anyone has an interest. The price was $12.95

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

This was found in a local antique shop for $2.00!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Paul thanks that was great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Actually get a little teary-eyed when I re-read this. Many many times. E.B. Whitre editor an author of thevNew Yorket, and known to most as the author of "Charlotte's Web."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

I have that book with a copyright date of 1936. It has a stamp on the inside front cover with the name Floyd Clymer and the address on Pico Boulevard in Los Angeles.

It was given to me about 25 years ago by my friend that got it from Floyd Clymer at his shop on Pico.

If you're not familiar with the name Floyd Clymer, look up his name. You'll be amazed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 12:42 am:

Floyd Clymer had the hit song "Last Date".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 08:36 am:

I read farewell my Lovely, very enjoyable. I have read it before but not recently.
Actually it was Floyd Cramer that wrote "Last Date" but I suspect Burger knows that and posted Floyd Clymer to see what kind of response he might get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:29 am:

The book has been reprinted, but they left out the illustrations which are important. They must have sold a lot of these back in the day. I got my first copy at a used book store for .50!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Kenneth

Many Sears and Roebuck catalogues were "repurposed", or so I'm told. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Farewell My Lovely really is a beautifully written piece of work and a wonderful tribute to the Model T.

The book was read by William Lazar in the early 1960s for the Library for the Blind talking books. A portion of It is posted on YouTube but unfortunately there is not a complete copy of the recording. Here is the link for anyone interested in hearing the recording with the rich vinyl record crackling in the background. Just love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqBspPc24bQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenell Larson on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Thanks for posting the article; I loved it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration