Cylinder bores...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cylinder bores...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Really? I just went out and put a couple calipers on the It's cylinder bores..... all 4 were virtually identical. I have an older US measre caliper and reads 3 47/64ths..... the digital reads 3.748". I would have expected them to be OVER 3 3/4". Do I need new glasses, or is this the norm?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Might be one of those in-between motors... # 1058693, but had cast iron pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

You are likely reading where the ring does not travel with calipers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

True....silly me ... duh.... My calipers don't reach any further. Both are only a 1/2" long or so. Will look for a different method. I should gave SOMEthing i can come up with, and remeasure.

Thanks foot the correction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Dennis, you need a set like this to measure the bores. Take measurements at several depths and planes. https://www.amazon.com/16-PRECISION-TELESCOPIC-BORE-GAUGE/dp/B000I8NDAS/ref=sr_1 _1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1492653074&sr=1-1&keywords=Telescoping+Gauge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Sounds fair enough... ordered!

I thought I had a set of scissor calipers, I could then re-measure... but guess not. Good set to have, anyway....

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Dennis,

If you're going to be at our Casual T's Crank-Up Dinner tomorrow, I could bring my bore gage with me for you to borrow. Let me know SOON though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Hi, Jerry..

Yes I am! I did order a set though... but don't know when they will be in.

A Les up onb Lapeer offered a head too... so I can do some testing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Dennis,

If my memory works I'll have the gage with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

If it works as good as mine .... good luck with that! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Dennis,

Well, I did remember. Then I got sick and didn't make it, as you know by now. Still available for borrowing if you need it. Let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

If you don't have an inside micrometer, this method will tell you whether you have taper in the cylinders. Put a ring at the bottom of the cylinder and measure the end gap with a feeler gauge. Move it up half way and measure again and then move to the top and measure. The gap should be the same at every level. If it differs, divide the difference by 3.14 and you will have the taper.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration