Loss of Ts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Loss of Ts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 08:59 am:

After a week of getting used to reality and trying to heal, I wanted to let my Forum friends know that I had a devastating fire in my garage caused by(fire marshal believes) a battery explosion while charging . I was in my house so I was not hurt. The house suffered relatively minor damage but my detached garage ,1913 runabout,1914 Depot Hack were destroyed. Huge loss for me after over 50 years enjoying the hobby..
Things I am learning, J C Taylor(Foremost) is a great Company. cooperative and quick. Make certain your valuations are current. Others of many things I'm learning is that you need to get with your Home policy agent and make sure your valuations are in line with your coverage. Gather as much info on personal property.
No more advice or details on related losses. We will be OK and that is what really matters.

y ou should review your coverage on valuation of antique cars and your home and furnishing . The details of home coverage are daunting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Warren, I am so sorry to hear of this devastating loss. Thankfully you and your family and house came through okay. I have heard of this happening in the past. Normally I charge my batteries out of the car, however lately I've been lazy and doing "in situ". Maybe I'll change my methods. I know you've got a lot on your plate right now, but just last night a '13 Runabout just hit the classifies. Maybe you've seen it. Hope you can get "back to normal" quickly. My prayers are with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Warren.. Very sorry to hear this and I am glad you, or anyone else were not hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Sorry to hear of your loss but thanks for the reminder to check and up date insurance if needed, I know I need to. Wishing you the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Warren,
My condolences and sympathy on your loss. After all those years with those cars, I can certainly understand a very strong attachment to them. I am, and I am sure the rest of your "Forum friends" are happy that there was no bodily injury involved.

Thanks for sharing...and I do appreciate the warning and insurance advice.

If you have the time (and heart) to explain further, could you offer more details...was it a "float charger", or some other type - say a 10 amp charger that overcharged the battery and caused it to "offgas" a great amount of hydrogen? Any other details you can share would be most welcome.Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:04 am:

May I ask what type of charger you where using? I am nearly sick thinking of your loss, I am so sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:09 am:

The important thing is that you were not injured. For that we are thankful !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Warren, I'm sorry to hear that but happy to know you are not hurt. You can buy another T and continue in the hobby as long as you have your health.

It was good to sit and visit with you in Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Warren, I feel for you. Back in '02, we had an office fire that damaged our '31 Chevrolet Phaeton. It was insured, but nothing can compensate you for the minutiae and efforts to rebuild.

Again, my sympathies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Spoke to Warren this morning, he is pretty devastated, as a fire loss ranks up there with a loss of a loved one.

Warren said by the time the fire department arrived the home was on fire too.

He had set up the charger on the battery, removed from the T, and it was on the floor beside the T. Noted the battery charger info gage said the battery was at 60 percent, the charger was reading a 12 percent charge. Likely a newer charger. Any way he went in the house and later heard a boom, followed by another. The garage was already engulfed.

Turns out one boom was the gas tank in the '13 that was almost full. And his F150 was parked beside the garage, it was total loss too.

House has about 30 percent damage, and most all inside is covered in soot. The wife was at the store, so they only have her car now to get around.

Pretty sad, and he said its been 3 days and he still is in some shock. Plus all the now digging for documents and filling out claims which is no fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Sorry for the loss and want to prepare you for the difficult journey ahead in dealing with your insurance companies. Just remember that they are out for their best interest, not yours, even though you are the client. Everything is negotiable. Do not accept their first or second offer. Ask to speak to supervisors and your local agent to work for you, not for the insurance company.

Recently totaled a vehicle and insurance settlement was $7100, take it or leave it. By providing comps and records of values and threatening mediation and asking them to replace the vehicle for that amount, I got a check for $9,900. Just for spending some time on the phone.

Hope your experience is more pleasant and you can get back to the hobby with new facilities and new equiptment.

And, always remember that it's only stuff. No one got hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Thanks Dan.

Just a supposition on my part, but I wonder if the hydrogen content of the immediate area was of sufficient quantity to explode when the charging circuit in the charger "clicked" on or off causing a spark ?

Just wondering, and trying to get to a "take away" lesson from this awful experience. If any, I would guess it would be to keep the charger device as far removed from the battery as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Warren, very sorry to hear of your loss. I went through this with my original 14. I was determined to bring it back to how it looked before the fire. I was able to do that with the exception of just the seat cushions.
Another battery lesson I learned, years ago the battery in my tow truck shorted out and burned. Fortunately the truck didn't burn, but after that I never leave any battery's hooked up except in my modern cars. I just don't trust shut offs, fuse's, trickle chargers, or any charger unless I'm right in the area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Like others Warren, so sorry to read this. Hopefully once everything is settled you can get back to the hobby you enjoy. No lives may have been lost, but the loss is quite personal nonetheless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Dan is correct on most of his reporting however the house damage for the most part is burned 30% back cedar siding. No interior damage to speak of . Livable. Fire was Tuesday last week. We will get past this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Sorry to hear of this terrible experience. _I hope everything will be covered and you'll quickly get this behind you. _Relieved to hear you were not injured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

I too am saddened by your losses. And grateful that nobody was physically hurt. Stuff, including antique cars, CAN be replaced. Even heirloom cars and special cars you have enjoyed for decades can be replaced by new memories in replacement cars. Been there, done that. Need to do it again.

It depends a bit on your insurance company (I don't know about J C Taylor these days). But sometimes, IF you are up to it, the remains can be purchased back for cheap from the insurance company. I have seen several cars destroyed by fire. Most could be restored with a major and long-term effort. Several people I have known did such things just because they hated to lose a car they were caring for. One friend had bad enough memories of the accident that destroyed his car, he couldn't bear the thought of ever riding in it again. So he gave the remains to a good friend he knew could would and did fully restore the car. The entire tale is incredible. The car today is beautiful.
I have seen several cars restored from very bad conditions. For some people, it is worth it.
For yourself, take some time, and grieve. You need that. Take care of you and your wife. Do some cleanup. Then spend some good time with friends.
Then I hope you get yourself another nice model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 07:27 am:

When I was about 26 years old - I almost died when a circuit breaker exploded in my hand as I installed it in a open panel.

The left side of my face and scalp were melted away - I survived.

Thank God you were not in proximity to the battery when it exploded ........

Sorry for your losses ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Warren,
I am sorry to hear this. You are not far up the road from me so if you need anything and I can help just let me know.
I have been through a fire and was burned badly, burns are one of the worst injuries I have ever had. I am glad to hear you are ok. You can replace material things.
It was good to see you in Chickasha.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

Sorry to hear the bad news Warren... I always loved the 13 as well as the story behind it.
Glad you're ok hope you recover on the loss. I've been broken into years ago and everything was taken sad thing is you never remember what all you had until you happen to need it. You asked me to call you here a few weeks back I haven't forgotten you brother, I'm still having some serious health issues I'm trying to get straightened out after a major surgery back in September. It's looking like more coming...?
I'll holler at you this week if possible between Dr. visits...!
Hang in there my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Warren,

Like others I'm so sorry for your loss but I am so thankful you and everyone else were not hurt.

As others mentioned unless the fire was extremely hot, there is a chance that the engines with the water in them may be ok. And the cars may be rebuilt or the parts used to rebuild other cars etc.

Take care of yourself and wife first. And if you have ever wanted a particular type of Ford you haven't had, now might be the opportunity?

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Sorry to hear about this Warren, sure glad you are not hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:19 am:

I'm new to the forum, but please accept by condolences.

I helped my best friend clean up what little was left of the house he and his dad and grandfather built, after it burned to the ground. It was like a death in the family. It was 10 years ago and I don't think he's ever recovered from it.

Best wishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Warren my wife tells me that nothing makes you feel better than a new pair of shoes. In this case wheels
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/747515.html?1492958219

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Wow sorry to hear that, whAt a terrible loss but at least your home and family are oaky..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Sorry Warren.
As mentioned above, glad no one was injured. Good advice concerning revue of coverage and making sure everything is up to date.

Again, so sorry for your unfortunate loss,
Rob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration