Can we talk nipples?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can we talk nipples?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Grease nipples, that is...

We bought our T on 2nd March and before we pick it up it had a full, top-to-toe service. The seller gave me some rudimentary service advise, including squirting grease into the axle at the back. Never having had one I duty went out and bought a small pistol-type grease gun that take 3oz cartridges.

My question is this though; how much and how often? Is it possible to overdo it? I've done about 50 miles in the car and thought I'd better check things over so I filled the little oil pots and gave it a rudimentary 2 or 3 squirts of grease, but am now wondering if that's too much, not enough, or somewhere in between.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

This is a family forum.

As such properly pastied nipples are permissible provided proper protection is provided.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Deke; You have opened a real can of worms with this one, But for what it is worth, I fill each grease cup on the car once and screw it down tight every spring, I have been doing this for over 55 years on the same car with excellent results.If your car has grease fittings then someone has changed them . I suggest one stroke on the grease gun pump per fitting each spring would be about right. Brad from New Hampshire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention, it has a Ruckstell, does that change things?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Clean pictures of covered nipples.

here is an uncovered dirty nipple

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Those grease cups are supposed to add a little grease on occasion to bearings which have no means of retaining grease. I use the old style high-fiber wheel bearing grease because it is gummy enough to stick around for a while. I give the cups a half turn every 100 miles (estimated). When they are screwed all the way down it is time to remove and refill them. Rear wheels, drive shaft and steering shaft. In the large cup on the universal joint ball I use a much lighter grease because that area pretty much runs submerged in grease. I give it a full turn every 100 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Yes Fred, that's what I have dirty uncovered nipples. So these are not original T hardware? Can someone show me a pic of a grease cup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

some here

https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=Grease%20cups&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Thanks Dave. So it looks like my cups have been removed and replaced with grease fittings (we call them nipples over here).

Other than outward appearance are there any ramifications to this? Is it worth retro fitting grease cups back in or are grease fitting better?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Nipples are a wonderful thing.... But they have no place on a Model T...!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Here we call them grease zerks.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

If you want to use a grease fitting try these.

Grease zerk-cup
Langs and others carry them or you could make your own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Were those plastic covers originally produced with the Model T? No.

Should they be used?

That is your choice. The question is whether you want "original" or something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I just can't help it. Deke, you call grease zerks nipples. What do you call..... A gentleman would help clean those dirty nipples.
Never mind and don't answer that. :-) No disrespect intended. Just funning you. :-) I really like the difference in language.
Bah, I've seen a lot of T's with grease zerks in a bunch of places.
Yes, they came with grease cups when new. Oh wait. My Crappy T has nipples/zerks where there should be cups. :-)
I didn't have enough cups to do it then. Especially that big brute on the u-joint. Still don't have a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

The original grease cups were sized to give the amount of grease needed at each location. You will notice that the one on the universal joint is much larger than the others. It's difficult to determine just how much grease to inject with the nipples, but I would say about one pump on each of the small ones and several pumps on the universal joint. There are also several oil caps on the front and rear axle at the spring shackles and at the spindle bolts and on the tie rod. Those should be oiled each time you grease the car.

How often you grease the car depends a lot on how often you drive the car. I would say that you should oil the oil cups before each tour because the oil will run out much faster than the grease.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

The above posts assume you have original style bearings. If your car has modern sealed bearings, no grease is needed there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

So I have modern style bearings, (installed about 7 years ago, both inner and outer). NO need then to turn the grease fittings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

All answers to the above question are wrong. If you want the correct answer, call me between 10:08am and 10:13am tomorrow and I will guide you through the correct procedure. Except between 10:10 and 10:11am. My knowledge is secret so it can't be disclosed on this forum. Somebody might learn something then I wouldn't feel useful or powerful.

Sound familiar? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 02:56 am:

Thanks guys, all very helpful. Original type cups would have been cooler, I see the value in grease nipples so have no burning need to change them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Read Jim Lyons post above!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration