09-10 with front doors-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 09-10 with front doors-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Are there noticeable differences between the two years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Who made them would be fun to know.God,how l love that period in U.S.history.We were on top of the world.
The First World War wiped that look of innocence off our faces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

I think those are small flange wheel hubs,which would make that an '09.Maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

I believe that pennant may refer to the 16th Amendment,which was a big hullabaloo starting around 1909.
The Amendment that allows the taxing of income,the way it has been done since it was ratified.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Jim,
Your comment got me thinking. How did the federal government raise money before income tax (which I believe was temporarily used during the Civil War). I found this:

It seems with the introduction of the Model T we, at about the same time, began a trend of taxation that has not subsided.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Not sure it is an improvement, but I cropped it and increased the contrast:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Herb, can you read the licence plate date on the original?

Interestingly, Perry, the UK selling agent, got in a row with Henry 'cos he made accessory front doors and Ford told him to stop as he had not approved them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Plate looks like Minnesota, MINN, to me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

You are correct, Mark.

It is a 1912-13-14 Minnesota plate registered to the Lindgren Bros. of Franklin, Minnesota for a Ford.

The above info is from a public Minnesota automobile registration directory in my father's possession.

If I went to the Minnesota Historical Society, I could pull the registration ledger and also look up the serial number.

Here is the listing on eBay if anyone is interested in the photo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Family-in-Ford-Model-T-RPPC-Rare-Antique-Car-Photo-Autom obile-AZO-1910s-/222477846754?hash=item33ccb688e2:g:MlQAAOSwzqFY8osc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

The licence plate appears to be a Minn. 1912-'13-14. They were a three year plate with black on aluminum. All three years were embossed but not painted.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Ford and fore doors reminded me of a few earlier Fords with similarities.

Perry were selling Model N with English bodies. One style, seen below during the Irish and Scottish trials in the spring of 1907 had half fore doors:

Not to be outdone, this ad indicates a Model K had fore-doors and electric lights added by 1911:

This 1912 ad for a Ford Model K includes a "foredoor body." I don't know if this is a "sedan" or if a California style top was added, with doors:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Great stuff Rob H ! Thank you.

The OP photo is intriguing. While the fenders, hubs, radiator scripts and neck, early top bows, etc, all clearly say '09/'10? The back half of the body looks right? But the front half does not.
Usually, the parting line between the added door section and the factory floor sides can be easily seen. (I cannot see any sign of one.) Some door look kits look like a fits-all stuck onto the side of the car (this side looks like a perfect fit. There is clearly a bit of a "style anachronism"? The rear body is offset like earlier cars, but the front door is "slab-side". Early 1912 touring cars were like that from the Ford factory. But this car? The doors are quite different in style. And the driver's side front door IS a door, the hinges and handle clearly visible. The door handle type doesn't match the rear door. This of course could be likely given that an after-market door kit could have used any of dozens of available latch mechanisms.
The front part of the body looks very much like a '14 T, where/how it connects to the firewall etc. But the door appears to smaller than the '14 door.
This one is a puzzle. A very well done adaption? A poorly made custom? Definitely a great photo of probably a unique car! Thank you Herb I and all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I'm no expert on cars this early, but I'm aware there were concerns making aftermarket doors for Model T's during that era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 07:44 am:

Here are a couple of threads where accessory fore doors on pre 1912 T's were discussed:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/481021.html?1415411679
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/320537.html?1352288726

Here's a link to old photos of Fords in Sweden: http://www.massingnickel.se/orgford.html
Scroll down to the 1911:s and half of them had add on fore doors and cowl, maybe an option from the dealer that was popular in our cold climate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

That is really different. I can't see any seams where fore-doors would have been added. It looks smooth like it was built that way. Most bolted on fore-doors of that era look awkward but this body looks like it was designed to have front doors. Could it be a custom body job? Is it possible it could be a factory prototype--maybe something they were experimenting with? I think this one should be studied by someone, if there is anything to find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

The car looks like it had the low filler neck and does not have the cross bar along the bottom of the radiator, and has the two-bolt front body mounting bracket, so that put it before mid-year 1910.

I have seen a few other '09-'10 cars with fore-doors, but not many. I wonder what color they are? It looks like the fore-doors are striped with a lighter contrast color. The car would be either red or green.

Great picture, Herb. Thanks for posting it.

: ^ )

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration