How to aline the hood (bonnet) on a 26/7 roadster pickup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to aline the hood (bonnet) on a 26/7 roadster pickup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Hi folks. Iam trying to aline the bonnet on my 26/7 roadster p/u. As the body of the car is fixed at the front by two brackets off the chassis how is the bonnet adjusted from the front to the back .Is it adjusted from the radiator ? many thanks Gerry(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

Gerry, the only real adjustment which can be made is the length of the steady rod between the firewall and the top radiator tank. That sets the gap at the top. The rest is fiddling. Raising the radiator helps sometimes, thicker welting others. Putting spacers under the body mounts can also help if the chassis has sagged.
With a nickel plated brass shell it is important to make sure the steel hood does not rub anywhere on the shell or it will seriously damage it over time. A gap is far preferable to an overlap.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Hi Allan thankyou for that ,iam working on it now .Ill let you know how i get on .Cheers Gerry(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Have you checked the chassis? It is quite common for the chassis to sag where the rear crankcase ears are bolted. This would be more sag on the right than on the left because of the torque of the engine. If this is so, you will need to straighten the frame. You can do some adjustment by raising or lowering the front of the body. You might even need to weld on a piece to the body to frame bracket on one side to raise it up. this latter would be the lazy way to do it rather than to straighten the frame. You can also adjust the radiator to some extent by tightening the mount on one side and loosening the mount on the other side. But the best way is to start with a straight frame.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

All answers to the above question are wrong. If you want the correct answer, call me between 10:08am and 10:13am tomorrow and I will guide you through the correct procedure. Except between 10:10 and 10:11am when I'll be busy dusting all my awards and trophies. My knowledge is secret so it can't be disclosed on this forum. Somebody might learn something then I wouldn't feel useful or powerful.

Sound familiar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Before adjusting the upper rod, drain radiator and loosen upper hose clamps and rad.hose. Then adjust rod . It's hit and miss.
Just did this with my car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration