1925 Touring Top storage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1925 Touring Top storage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 11:13 am:

How is the top of a touring car kept from catching the breeze and flying like a parachute when folded behind the rear seat and still assembled to the top bows?

I first got some T experience with my 8th grade teacher. He and I worked on his '27 4 door when I was about 12 years old. After it was together and running he taught me to drive it on the school playground. Years later I had a T of my own that I put together as a huckster wagon during the 1980's. I sold it around 1993 and am now helping a friend get a hobby car 1926 chassis with 1925 touring body into running condition.
I love this column and what appear to be great people contributing help to everyone in the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 11:56 am:

A touring top boot. A cover that is put on when folded so it won't catch the wind. I check Lang's web site and saw them listed for just about every year but 1925. You might want to call them to see if they have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 11:58 am:

There is a boot that covers it with straps that fasten behind the bottom cushion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Boot or no, folded tops should have the bows strapped securely in the saddles that support them. This will keep the top from catching the wind even without a boot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Thank you for all the help! I think to start we will try strapping the bows to the saddles. If that fails we will look into finding a boot.

Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Don't try towing it on an open trailer at 60+ or it will balloon out. If that is the plan, wrap it with something for protection.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration